• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Water getting inside the charge port!

Don B.

Member
First Name
Don
Joined
Mar 11, 2023
Threads
8
Messages
20
Reaction score
9
Location
GA
Vehicles
None
Country flag
This is what I was afraid of since the charge port door doesn't cover the charge port when it's open. Zoom into the attached photo and look at the water droplets inside the charge port, beyond the gasket. I hope this isn't going to be a problem.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Water getting inside the charge port! Tesla - Cybertruck - charge port inside door is wet
 

RayzorBEV

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 8, 2019
Threads
1
Messages
974
Reaction score
828
Location
Texas
Vehicles
H-M3 P, CB FS, CB FS, CB, J-MY P, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
I have charged all my EVs out in the rain many times, some under heavy down pour condition; no issues because of proper charging hardware design.
But in case you are not convinced, I'll take your CT off your hands so you can sleep better tonight...?
 

hridge2020

Well-known member
First Name
Henry
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Threads
169
Messages
886
Reaction score
603
Location
Central Coast CA
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
This is what I was afraid of since the charge port door doesn't cover the charge port when it's open. Zoom into the attached photo and look at the water droplets inside the charge port, beyond the gasket. I hope this isn't going to be a problem.

Tesla - Cybertruck - charge port inside door is wet.webp

Might need one of these mods.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Water getting inside the charge port! charge umbrella
 
Last edited:

REM

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2023
Threads
10
Messages
2,857
Reaction score
2,662
Location
NC
Vehicles
2020 Model 3 Standard Range++ & Diet Cybertruck, Dual Motor
Occupation
Professional Retard
Country flag
The pin out is designed so water is pushed out while the charger is inserted. Plus, the car performs a few electrical checks before throwing juice at it.

As for any oxidation over the years, I'm sure you could easily clean the pins if needed. Seems to not be an issue in general though.
 

XCeilidhX

Well-known member
First Name
Drew
Joined
Oct 25, 2022
Threads
8
Messages
336
Reaction score
359
Location
Silicon Valley & Surrounds
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, CB 047XXX
Country flag
Agree this is a total nonissue. I’ve had my model S for 11 years and 125k miles and a model 3 since 2018 and charged and supercharged them both in torrential rain on many occasions with the charging socket getting thoroughly doused in water while open for the charging. Not a problem. Nothing happens. No different than charging in dry conditions from the user perspective. You can remove this from your list of worries.
 

DumpsterFire

Banned
Well-known member
Banned
Joined
Oct 26, 2023
Threads
13
Messages
503
Reaction score
572
Location
Utah
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
This is what I was afraid of since the charge port door doesn't cover the charge port when it's open. Zoom into the attached photo and look at the water droplets inside the charge port, beyond the gasket. I hope this isn't going to be a problem.

Tesla - Cybertruck - charge port inside door is wet.jpg
Hey Don. It’s been said before here but do not fear.

I’ve been driving my M3LR since 2018 in Utah (land of snow and rain…) and haven’t had any issues.

Also, after each car wash, there is always water under the cover.

all good man!! ?
 

Lekrow

Active member
First Name
Alex
Joined
Nov 22, 2019
Threads
0
Messages
34
Reaction score
9
Location
Washington, USA
Vehicles
Plaid CyberTruck
Country flag
Most of the water that reaches the charge port on my S comes from heavy rain hitting the connector and sliding down to the the port. Haven't had any issues with it in 3 years charging outside frequently in Washington state so going to also vote this is probably a non-issue.
 

jerhenderson

Well-known member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Feb 20, 2020
Threads
12
Messages
2,129
Reaction score
997
Location
Prince George BC
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
This is what I was afraid of since the charge port door doesn't cover the charge port when it's open. Zoom into the attached photo and look at the water droplets inside the charge port, beyond the gasket. I hope this isn't going to be a problem.

Tesla - Cybertruck - charge port inside door is wet.jpg
Lol what? I've had far worse with our MY and no issues.
 

Crissa

Well-known member
First Name
Crissa
Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Threads
133
Messages
17,100
Reaction score
11,179
Location
Santa Cruz
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I had to charge my Zero, in the pouring rain, while using the adapter.

The connector gets wet. It's not a problem, it works fine. The depth of the connector is what keeps the voltage from following the water.

-Crissa
 

JBee

Well-known member
First Name
JB
Joined
Nov 22, 2019
Threads
17
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
1,596
Location
Australia
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Rain water is generally not conductive.
Sea water is a conductor.
Red dust is worse than sea water. Especially when it gets wet.
So keep it clean and you'll be fine.

We'll see how well it will collect dust and dirt when offroad. Would of been better behind the rear light or something I think. Wheel arch is prone to damage as well.
 

Coolbreeze704

Well-known member
First Name
Bruce
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Threads
12
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
419
Location
Troutman,NC
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Non Issue. I don't see the problem
 

Tiberius

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 2, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
169
Reaction score
82
Location
Texas
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Chief cook and bottlewasher
Country flag
This is what I was afraid of since the charge port door doesn't cover the charge port when it's open. Zoom into the attached photo and look at the water droplets inside the charge port, beyond the gasket. I hope this isn't going to be a problem.

Tesla - Cybertruck - charge port inside door is wet.jpg
It may be worth asking why you were afraid of it?
 
 
Top