• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Tonneau cover leaks

DFeredinos

Well-known member
First Name
Demitrios
Joined
Feb 14, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
65
Reaction score
35
Location
Kent Wa
Vehicles
AWD Foundation Cybertruck
Occupation
director of IT
Country flag
You guys are hopeless. I fixed mine in 20 minutes and my truck lives outside 24/7 in the PNW rain and snow. Before that it leaked waterfalls into the center of the bed, now everything stays completely dry. I keep cardboard boxes, tool bags filled with power tools, and lots of other non-waterproof stuff in the bed, nothing gets wet or soggy. At best, after driving through a hard rain, there is a little seepage around the top of the tailgate but it just runs harmlessly down the tailgate and out to the road. Even parking nose-up or nose-down on a steep slope doesn't seem to make it leak.

That was in May of 2024, still dry. The Bakfip on my F-150 was another story. I never could get it to stop leaking. Plus, the foam cores absorbed water and became water-logged and very heavy. And the Bakflip is one of the most highly regarded tonneau covers on the market. Tesla hit it out of the park with this super strong and sturdy electric tonneau that vanishes out of sight when you need to haul big items, firewood, bark, etc.

Nothing else like it on the market.
howdy fellow PnW! Did you do the fix from the video earlier with the replacement gasket? Just asking as I intend to fix mine as it lives like yours and am grateful for any advice. :)
 

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
You guys are hopeless. I fixed mine in 20 minutes and my truck lives outside 24/7 in the PNW rain and snow. Before that it leaked waterfalls into the center of the bed, now everything stays completely dry. I keep cardboard boxes, tool bags filled with power tools, and lots of other non-waterproof stuff in the bed, nothing gets wet or soggy. At best, after driving through a hard rain, there is a little seepage around the top of the tailgate but it just runs harmlessly down the tailgate and out to the road. Even parking nose-up or nose-down on a steep slope doesn't seem to make it leak.
How did you fix it? The cat guy video? I tried that over the weekend but does not work I have a FS in 30k range and they changed it no foam and they filled with some gasket but does not work. I was going to try backer rod next.
 

EWELON

Well-known member
First Name
Rori
Joined
May 21, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
309
Reaction score
194
Location
Wynnewood,PA
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck dual motor (soon)
Country flag
Yep just pop something, anything either inside that gap between the glass and the aerocover or over it (or both i guess) and be done. “Vault” is a marketing term just like “Full Self Driving” don't take it literally.

all pickup drivers forever have had to deal with this and dont think that anyone (I guess except for santa fe drivers) really thinks that their truck bed can be expected to remain bone dry and non-dusty for the life of the truck.
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
howdy fellow PnW! Did you do the fix from the video earlier with the replacement gasket? Just asking as I intend to fix mine as it lives like yours and am grateful for any advice. :)
No, I used the OEM foam strip that had two gaps in the middle of the run. Those two gaps are where I had two waterfalls into the center of the bed. I just pinched the excess foam strip from each end (where it wasn't needed) and pushed it into the gaps in the foam strip. They still had gummy glue on them and the pressure from the top aluminum cover holds them down.
 

DFeredinos

Well-known member
First Name
Demitrios
Joined
Feb 14, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
65
Reaction score
35
Location
Kent Wa
Vehicles
AWD Foundation Cybertruck
Occupation
director of IT
Country flag
No, I used the OEM foam strip that had two gaps in the middle or the run. Those two gaps are where I had two waterfalls into the center of the bed. I just pinched the excess foam strip from each end (where it wasn't needed) and pushed it into the gaps in the foam strip. They still had gummy glue on them and the pressure from the top aluminum cover holds them down.
Oh sweet, thank you, I'll give that a shot and play around. Cheers!
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
Oh sweet, thank you, I'll give that a shot and play around. Cheers!
I understand Tesla may use a different weather strip under the aluminum cover now. The one on the early Cybertrucks was a low density (lots of large closed cell air cells), easily crushable foam strip. It was not resilient and rubbery, it crushed easily. I think that was by design. It was translucent to a degree. I should have taken a photo.

My point is, if you need to replace the weather seal strip with something else, don't get something too thick or rubbery, it will cause the aluminum trim to flex (bow upward). Sometimes less material is more. Easily crushable is good.
 

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Yep just pop something, anything either inside that gap between the glass and the aerocover or over it (or both i guess) and be done. “Vault” is a marketing term just like “Full Self Driving” don't take it literally.

all pickup drivers forever have had to deal with this and dont think that anyone (I guess except for santa fe drivers) really thinks that their truck bed can be expected to remain bone dry and non-dusty for the life of the truck.
Backer rod is working! Did a test and no leak this far.

Thanks for the tip!
 

kpanda17

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2023
Threads
17
Messages
608
Reaction score
346
Location
USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
What diameter? How did you get it through?
Initially I went with 3/8 but when I literally stuffed it in it would pop out the new style weather strip on the aeroflap So I went with smaller diameters.

At least on mine there are two different spaces
Between the actual glass and aeroflap it's a lot tighter I used 1/8 inch and then the larger gaps at the two ends I used 1/4 inch. So far working well with my hose test.

Since I don't have a cybertent or really plan on getting one I may also apply some clear sealant/caulking underneath to really try and seal the deal.

Orgthin 20FT Backer Rod 1/8 inch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D6B4VRV2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Orgthin 20FT Backer Rod 1/4 inch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D6B54MZK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Good luck!
 

EWELON

Well-known member
First Name
Rori
Joined
May 21, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
309
Reaction score
194
Location
Wynnewood,PA
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck dual motor (soon)
Country flag
Initially I went with 3/8 but when I literally stuffed it in it would pop out the new style weather strip on the aeroflap So I went with smaller diameters.

At least on mine there are two different spaces
Between the actual glass and aeroflap it's a lot tighter I used 1/8 inch and then the larger gaps at the two ends I used 1/4 inch. So far working well with my hose test.

Since I don't have a cybertent or really plan on getting one I may also apply some clear sealant/caulking underneath to really try and seal the deal.

Orgthin 20FT Backer Rod 1/8 inch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D6B4VRV2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Orgthin 20FT Backer Rod 1/4 inch,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D6B54MZK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Good luck!
if you want a belt with your suspenders this might be cleaner than sealant:

https://a.co/d/7VUTGIQ
 

matttn

Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
15
Reaction score
14
Location
USA
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
Update: Service center wanted to charge me $275 for the diagnostic testing for water ingress after they stated my vehicle was normal with the leak between the rear glass and aero flap. Ultimately they didn’t fix it and I wasn’t charged the fee.

I went ahead and used EWELON’s advice and stuffed 3/8 backing rod in the gap. I did run into a slight issue towards the far right passenger side of the rear glass and aero flap. The last 3-4 inches were too narrow for the backing rod to fit so I left it empty in that right side area. Did the water test and surprisingly water didn’t get in.

Thanks for the tip. So I think it’s really up to the service center and technician to whether they’re willing to change the sealing or not for the leak. I have a 2024 FS and definitely didn't have any seal within the aero flap.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Tonneau cover leaks IMG_1153
 

kpanda17

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2023
Threads
17
Messages
608
Reaction score
346
Location
USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
Update: Service center wanted to charge me $275 for the diagnostic testing for water ingress after they stated my vehicle was normal with the leak between the rear glass and aero flap. Ultimately they didn’t fix it and I wasn’t charged the fee.

I went ahead and used EWELON’s advice and stuffed 3/8 backing rod in the gap. I did run into a slight issue towards the far right passenger side of the rear glass and aero flap. The last 3-4 inches were too narrow for the backing rod to fit so I left it empty in that right side area. Did the water test and surprisingly water didn’t get in.

Thanks for the tip. So I think it’s really up to the service center and technician to whether they’re willing to change the sealing or not for the leak. I have a 2024 FS and definitely didn't have any seal within the aero flap.

IMG_1153.webp
great news
Front at leading edge of aeroflap
Middle 1/8 backer
Each end 1/4 backer

what about the rear tailgate door gasket?
Yours does not leak any water?
Inserting backer inside the gasket hollow tube to make it a tighter seal?
Which backer size?
 

BrickBungalow

Well-known member
First Name
Ryan
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Threads
16
Messages
71
Reaction score
33
Location
Portland, OR
Vehicles
Tesla 3, Cybertruck reserved
Occupation
Gamer
Country flag
A strip of adhesive seal molding on the top and bottom of the tailgate interior keeps my stuff dry.
 
 
Top