• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Tonneau cover leaks

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I think that the backer is impervious enough that water just runs over it and doesnt soak in. ive survived this winter in pennsylvania with no crack so far at least.
Did you stuff the backer rod on the sides as well?
 

BabOne

Member
First Name
Brian
Joined
Sep 10, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
16
Reaction score
16
Location
Tucson, AZ
Vehicles
CyberTruck AWD and Ford F150 Limited
Country flag
So you think that water can sit in there and freeze and crack the glass? That’s the only thing stopping me from this solution.
Great question. I think as the water freezes it would expand towards the less resistant foam and/or spline and not break the glass but I live in southern Arizona so not an expert. If I encounter freezing temperatures I will let you know.
 

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
just to confuse, four solutions

1-force Tesla to remedy as it seems 2026 models are fixed
2-install the screen spline
3-install the backer foam
4-install the U shaped weather stripping

1, ive had them take a crack at it once, vastly improved with their work but not perfect, not sure ill ask again
2, cheap, might just order and test
3, same
4, i did buy, this will be my first choice, waiting for warmer weather
Well I'm here at the SC right now and I'm not feeling too optimistic about them being able to fix the situation. Their plan is to put on the missing slat and that's its. When I mentioned the area between the aeroflap and glass they gave me a speech/lecture how "it's not supposed to be waterproof". Looks like I'm going to have to do option 2 3 or 4 I'm leaning towards 3 or 4

Will follow up with an update after the service today. We have another storm coming.
 
OP
OP
ARMANDO PADILLA

ARMANDO PADILLA

Well-known member
First Name
Armando
Joined
Oct 10, 2024
Threads
43
Messages
450
Reaction score
120
Location
Los Angeles
Vehicles
'24 Foundation S CBeast, '04 Chevy Blazer, '73 Ford Bronco, '90 RangeRover (RIP)
Occupation
Finish carpenter/day trader/entrepreneur
Country flag
Real solution to getting the vault dry.
1. A time machine to buy one of the trucks that was made with the extra slat and propper sealing, gets you 98% dry
2. Go to a service center 1-20x and hope to get the right person to do the fix.
3. Do what this guy I met at a supercharger did, and black silicone the whole thing, looked TERRIBLE but he said he used the truck for work and had some work tools destroyed by getting soaked. (he said it was OK that I took pictures and shared)

Full post with more pics here
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/100-waterproof-vault-using-black-silicone.46646/

101142-f6ac4051b932e952c2fb8b2cc8d24d17.webp
101143-851037c405b31b81893adb825ead3c9b.webp
yeah, I'm not doing this. That looks horrible. Even though I know I can do a much better job than this mess. But then what happens when you need to remove one of these panels?
my FS CB does have the extra slat on the tonneau cover and water still pours in like a fountain.
I like what eser50 did with that weatherstrip, but I'm going to bring it up to the SC to see what kind of BS they tell me. But at least give them a chance, maybe I'll get lucky and get a tech who actually knows something about the truck, and for sure check the work before leaving, not falling for the last-minute trick where they make you wait till closing time, and they literally turn out the lights as they bring your truck out and tell you "ok sir All of your concerns have been resolved" only to find out when you get home that not only are the issues still present but they broke a few more parts and used double-side-tape to hold it all together. true story.
luckily, my tools that went submarine on me were all hand tools, so no real harm was done, just a ridiculous nuisance. I keep the power tools in the $250 Tesla tubs that you can buy for $10 each at HD.
 

EWELON

Well-known member
First Name
Rori
Joined
May 21, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
309
Reaction score
194
Location
Wynnewood,PA
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck dual motor (soon)
Country flag
yeah, I'm not doing this. That looks horrible. Even though I know I can do a much better job than this mess. But then what happens when you need to remove one of these panels?
my FS CB does have the extra slat on the tonneau cover and water still pours in like a fountain.
I like what eser50 did with that weatherstrip, but I'm going to bring it up to the SC to see what kind of BS they tell me. But at least give them a chance, maybe I'll get lucky and get a tech who actually knows something about the truck, and for sure check the work before leaving, not falling for the last-minute trick where they make you wait till closing time, and they literally turn out the lights as they bring your truck out and tell you "ok sir All of your concerns have been resolved" only to find out when you get home that not only are the issues still present but they broke a few more parts and used double-side-tape to hold it all together. true story.
luckily, my tools that went submarine on me were all hand tools, so no real harm was done, just a ridiculous nuisance. I keep the power tools in the $250 Tesla tubs that you can buy for $10 each at HD.
those tesla tubs arent waterproof either. or dust proof. get the husky ones from HD. theyre much more reliable, if youre that concerned about it.
 

matttn

Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
15
Reaction score
14
Location
USA
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
Well I'm here at the SC right now and I'm not feeling too optimistic about them being able to fix the situation. Their plan is to put on the missing slat and that's its. When I mentioned the area between the aeroflap and glass they gave me a speech/lecture how "it's not supposed to be waterproof". Looks like I'm going to have to do option 2 3 or 4 I'm leaning towards 3 or 4

Will follow up with an update after the service today. We have another storm coming.
I had the missing slat installed May 2025 and my tonneau still leaks a ton. Try to press them on testing the appliqué where it meets the rear glass window and if they can check the foaming there.

I have a scheduled appointment on Monday but I’m still optimistic they’ll do it right and I’ll resort to the options others posted here.

But they did have the pending $275 “diagnostic fee” in the app if they deem the leak isn’t warranty related.
 

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I had the missing slat installed May 2025 and my tonneau still leaks a ton. Try to press them on testing the appliqué where it meets the rear glass window and if they can check the foaming there.

I have a scheduled appointment on Monday but I’m still optimistic they’ll do it right and I’ll resort to the options others posted here.

But they did have the pending $275 “diagnostic fee” in the app if they deem the leak isn’t warranty related.
Well I just got my missing slat replaced and it seems to be leaking less but still a pretty significant leak on the passenger side and it's clearly between glass and aeroflap.

My initial instinct was to call them in the AM and show them my video of it leaking but would hate to lose $275 to hear them say again the bed is not supposed to be waterproof and it's within spec.

Keep us posted on what they say on Monday. Good luck.

 

EWELON

Well-known member
First Name
Rori
Joined
May 21, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
309
Reaction score
194
Location
Wynnewood,PA
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck dual motor (soon)
Country flag
Well I just got my missing slat replaced and it seems to be leaking less but still a pretty significant leak on the passenger side and it's clearly between glass and aeroflap.

My initial instinct was to call them in the AM and show them my video of it leaking but would hate to lose $275 to hear them say again the bed is not supposed to be waterproof and it's within spec.

Keep us posted on what they say on Monday. Good luck.


thats exactly where mine leaked after the slat addition. the OEM seal at the glass side of the aeroflap just isnt robust enough to seal the entire length of that gap. any of the forum examples of treating that gap seem to work to mitigate that issue.
 

Cybertruck2024

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
515
Reaction score
397
Location
Buffalo
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
those tesla tubs arent waterproof either. or dust proof. get the husky ones from HD. theyre much more reliable, if youre that concerned about it.
This is truly the optimal solution. Tesla never made a truck before and they obviously had no clue how to make a tonneau. Messing around with my warranty isn't worth it. I only travel with multiple carry-on suitcases now, all in Husky totes.

If I need to haul something larger than what fits in a Husky tote, I borrow my parent's Santa Cruz, because the engineers knew how to make a waterproof tonneau on the sub-$30k vehicle.
 

JackCypher

Well-known member
First Name
Jack
Joined
Jun 13, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
221
Reaction score
177
Location
California
Vehicles
Cybertruck Foundation
Occupation
CEO
Country flag
I don't need the extra slat on mine
I have never seen the holes you guys mention on my CB
but I have seen them on other trucks and know what it looks like.
so I will look into fixing the seal between the glass and applique .
its just so fuckn ridiculous when you show up to a job site in a fantastic truck you go pull your tools out and they are underwater because the rain somehow got through bulletproof steel and glass you feel like a clown at that point.
I agree with your point: You roll up in the bitchen futuristic Cybertruck, admirers standing around as you open the tailgate and your shit is soaked...

Cause in the future there is no rain?... or water is in pill form?

It is an oversight/defect. The tonneau cover was clearly intended to prevent water intrusion into the bed as the side overlap and channeling is design to redirect water on the sides from going into the bed.

Also, by observation of the tonneau cover it 'presents' as it blocks water as there is no light leak into the bed. So it does present as a non-permeable barrier.

Mine was missing the front slat - however is still leaks after Tesla repair. So I need to 'do-it-myself' at some point to replace with the larger seal.
 

Gigahorse

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2023
Threads
13
Messages
1,933
Reaction score
1,309
Location
USA
Vehicles
AWD
yeah, I'm not doing this. That looks horrible. Even though I know I can do a much better job than this mess. But then what happens when you need to remove one of these panels?
my FS CB does have the extra slat on the tonneau cover and water still pours in like a fountain.
I like what eser50 did with that weatherstrip, but I'm going to bring it up to the SC to see what kind of BS they tell me. But at least give them a chance, maybe I'll get lucky and get a tech who actually knows something about the truck, and for sure check the work before leaving, not falling for the last-minute trick where they make you wait till closing time, and they literally turn out the lights as they bring your truck out and tell you "ok sir All of your concerns have been resolved" only to find out when you get home that not only are the issues still present but they broke a few more parts and used double-side-tape to hold it all together. true story.
luckily, my tools that went submarine on me were all hand tools, so no real harm was done, just a ridiculous nuisance. I keep the power tools in the $250 Tesla tubs that you can buy for $10 each at HD.
The issue is having to use rubbermaid totes that are not an efficient use of space in a 100k vehicle in the "VAULT"
If you need to put a 3d printer, table saw, or any decent size stuff back there you may end up going the route this guy did to get it waterproof.
 

CTOmaha

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 24, 2024
Threads
20
Messages
180
Reaction score
205
Location
Nebraska
Vehicles
CT FS AWD, MY 24
Country flag
My CT is in the shop for PCS issue, asked them about the vault leak at the top where the glass meets. Tech said we can fix that, so they added to ticket. Let you guys know what happens afterwards. Truck won't be ready for ten days though.
 

DFeredinos

Well-known member
First Name
Demitrios
Joined
Feb 14, 2025
Threads
4
Messages
65
Reaction score
35
Location
Kent Wa
Vehicles
AWD Foundation Cybertruck
Occupation
director of IT
Country flag
Just had mine in for service for leak along the passenger side. They added the extra slat, and replaced both side panels. It still has a little leak on the side they’re saying “is within spec” as it’s not “waterproof” and that the rear window is because I have the removable panel for my cybertent. I’m going to try and fix it myself similarly to the original posted video, but it’s been raining a lot here in seattle so it’s hard to get a good beat on the resolution.
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
I agree with your point: You roll up in the bitchen futuristic Cybertruck, admirers standing around as you open the tailgate and your shit is soaked...
You guys are hopeless. I fixed mine in 20 minutes and my truck lives outside 24/7 in the PNW rain and snow. Before that it leaked waterfalls into the center of the bed, now everything stays completely dry. I keep cardboard boxes, tool bags filled with power tools, and lots of other non-waterproof stuff in the bed, nothing gets wet or soggy. At best, after driving through a hard rain, there is a little seepage around the top of the tailgate but it just runs harmlessly down the tailgate and out to the road. Even parking nose-up or nose-down on a steep slope doesn't seem to make it leak.

That was in May of 2024, still dry. The Bakfip on my F-150 was another story. I never could get it to stop leaking. Plus, the foam cores absorbed water and became water-logged and very heavy. And the Bakflip is one of the most highly regarded tonneau covers on the market. Tesla hit it out of the park with this super strong and sturdy electric tonneau that vanishes out of sight when you need to haul big items, firewood, bark, etc.

Nothing else like it on the market.
 
Last edited:
 
Top