• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

So... I guess I'm a GrubHub driver now?!

MisterChilidog

Well-known member
First Name
Thomas
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
63
Reaction score
47
Location
Lehi, Utah
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Don't misunderstand me; I didn't quit my day job - I'm still a full-time software developer. BUT...

Back in September, as the Federal EV tax credit was approaching expiration, my niece's car died on her. I had already leant my second car (a 2004 Chevy Impala) to my brother, while his Honda was in the shop. I told my niece to go ahead and keep the Impala as long as she needs it - my wife and I already knew that we wanted a Tesla Model Y to be our second car (the Cybertruck will be number one, for us, for the foreseeable future). Prior to my brother's car troubles, we were projecting the Model Y would likely fit into our budget in about two years; maybe three. Now, we had to consider whether or not we could accelerate that timetable, to take advantage of the tax rebate. We maybe got a little excited at the prospect of a new shiny toy, but yeah, we decided to place an order for the Model Y in time to get the rebate.

After taking delivery of the new car, we remembered why we had planned to delay the purchase a couple more years. The budget got tight. We expected this. We had already considered Turo as a means to earn back some of the monthly payment. But as it happens, last year I thought it might be fun to do DoorDash deliveries and/or Uber rides in our Cybertruck, and get people's reaction to the World's Most Distinctive Automobile. The applications processes being what they were, I actually had got signed on to drive for GrubHub and Lyft. I still haven't picked up my first Lyft rider, but I did a few GrubHub deliveries. Turns out people are more reclusive about food deliveries than I had expected, so I didn't get to see reactions like I had envisioned. No worries - it turned out to be a very interesting experience, and I quickly discovered that I actually kind of enjoy the deliveries.

ANYWAY, as the budget tightened, it occurred to me that I could drive for a few hours a week - before I go home from the office, on my non-telework days, for instance - and this might help offset some of that new monthly payment. So, over the Christmas/New Year break, I resolved to schedule myself some blocks on GrubHub, to see which days and hours held the most promise for earnings. I was more than a little surprised to discover that in just a few hours in the evenings, when I would usually be looking for something to keep me busy around the house, I wasn't just offsetting the Model Y payment; I was offsetting the Cybertruck Payment AS WELL.

Now, these earnings aren't in one week. No, we're talking about a few hours in the evening, five nights a week. OR, I could achieve the same results in a couple full days, on the weekend. I've been impressed how many hours out of how many days are viable times to earn. The point is: buying the Model Y turned out not to be an additional expense, but rather a money maker. I hadn't thought, before, that GrubHub could churn up that much income with such an easy commitment of time. But there's more to it than that.

EVs are perfectly suited for deliveries. Stop-and-go traffic doesn't destroy their fuel economy like it does for ICE cars - and the cost of fuel would otherwise do severe damage to delivery income. Tesla's FSD is another game-changer. When I accept an offer from GrubHub and tap the 'Naviate' button, the app sends the geo pin to whichever Tesla I'm driving that day, and all I have to do is fasten my seatbelt and tap the 'Start Self Driving' button in the car (or truck). FSD then takes me to the pickup, repeat for the drop-off. And while I'm en-route, I can check the app to see what hot spots there are, check my stats, etc.

I'm sure there a some here who have already made this discovery... maybe not, I don't know. What I DO know is that this is REALLY low hanging fruit. Driving deliveries in a Tesla with FSD is relaxing to the point of being enjoyable, and you get paid to do. Let that sink in for a moment. YOU CAN GET PAID TO BUY A NEW CAR! And a very nice new car at that. Anyway, I don't know how long I'll continue to drive for GrubHub, but I don't see any reason to stop - I'm still having fun doing it. Maybe I'll finally get around to driving for Lyft and see how that goes. The bottom line: if you're here daydreaming about someday buying a new Tesla, my proof-of-concept exceeded expectations.

Anybody else come up with anything similar to this? I love spit-balling ideas.
 

Fugue

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
242
Reaction score
239
Location
Kentucky
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FSD, Model Y LR FSD
Occupation
Tech Industry Grunt
Country flag
Great use case for FSD.

So you're working about as much as a part-time job and pulling in more than enough to pay for a Model Y with FSD? Does this account for taxes too?
 
OP
OP
MisterChilidog

MisterChilidog

Well-known member
First Name
Thomas
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
63
Reaction score
47
Location
Lehi, Utah
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Great use case for FSD.

So you're working about as much as a part-time job and pulling in more than enough to pay for a Model Y with FSD? Does this account for taxes too?
I didn't start this early enough in 2025 for it to have an impact on taxes. So, it'll take some time to make an accurate assessment. But with a roughly 20 hr/wk schedule (which is SUPER easy to tailor to personal needs/wants/ambitions), the cash out is plenty to cover monthly payments, insurance and electricity with extra $$$ to spare. So I'm confident the taxes will be covered and still leave some extra scratch. I wish I had done this sooner!

I'll make a mental note to track everything and post again in 2027 with the 1-year results. Also, I didn't mention, but it's worth noting; I bought the AWD MY with the blue paint upgrade and the towing upgrade. So that'll give you a better idea what I'm talking about, in terms of pricing. I didn't get FSD at time of purchase, to keep my payment down, but I don't want the price to go up before I buy it, so I'm subscribed for the time being, but I'm definitely going to buy it ASAP.
 

EWELON

Well-known member
First Name
Rori
Joined
May 21, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
309
Reaction score
194
Location
Wynnewood,PA
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck dual motor (soon)
Country flag
I didn't start this early enough in 2025 for it to have an impact on taxes. So, it'll take some time to make an accurate assessment. But with a roughly 20 hr/wk schedule (which is SUPER easy to tailor to personal needs/wants/ambitions), the cash out is plenty to cover monthly payments, insurance and electricity with extra $$$ to spare. So I'm confident the taxes will be covered and still leave some extra scratch. I wish I had done this sooner!

I'll make a mental note to track everything and post again in 2027 with the 1-year results. Also, I didn't mention, but it's worth noting; I bought the AWD MY with the blue paint upgrade and the towing upgrade. So that'll give you a better idea what I'm talking about, in terms of pricing. I didn't get FSD at time of purchase, to keep my payment down, but I don't want the price to go up before I buy it, so I'm subscribed for the time being, but I'm definitely going to buy it ASAP.

I know that one of the tesla yt influencers is also an uber or lyft driver - I believe he had of the teslas with the most mileage out there. he probably has a vid about doing gig work with an ev
 

CyberT

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2020
Threads
14
Messages
504
Reaction score
558
Location
Orange County, CA
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD and 2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
I've been toying with this idea for about a year now and haven't taken the first step yet. I am happy to hear that its exceeded your expectations so far.

Have you had to change your insurance now that you are a gig driver? If so, how much did it increase your premium?
 

Travis64

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2024
Threads
12
Messages
334
Reaction score
255
Location
NY
Vehicles
Tesla mp3 and awd cybertruck
Country flag
If you got the $7500 fed rebate any money earn using your vehicle will count against it
 

Black306

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
512
Reaction score
449
Location
Sacramento
Vehicles
‘24 DM CT | ‘23 M3 RWD
Country flag
Might have to do this next year; couple kids will be in college at the same time. 😫


j/p 😁

Not opposed to a side gig once we’re empty nesters and prior to grand kids.
 
OP
OP
MisterChilidog

MisterChilidog

Well-known member
First Name
Thomas
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
63
Reaction score
47
Location
Lehi, Utah
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I've been toying with this idea for about a year now and haven't taken the first step yet. I am happy to hear that its exceeded your expectations so far.

Have you had to change your insurance now that you are a gig driver? If so, how much did it increase your premium?
No change to my insurance. I haven't given it much thought - I have pretty good coverage. I'll take a look at my policy and make sure I've got appropriate coverage though. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
OP
OP
MisterChilidog

MisterChilidog

Well-known member
First Name
Thomas
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
63
Reaction score
47
Location
Lehi, Utah
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Not opposed to a side gig once we’re empty nesters and prior to grand kids.
Our daughter moved out a couple years ago. Definitely a contributing factor to the spare time situation. If I fool around with my backyard off-grid solar anymore, my wife might have me committed. 🤪
 
 
Top