• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

3 weeks into ownership - rust spots or gunk?

TFrank94

Member
First Name
Tanner
Joined
Jan 16, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Location
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vehicles
Cyber Truck AWD
Country flag
Hey everyone. Just picked up my CT about 3 weeks ago and love it. Doing my second wash today (water only, then blow dry, then hand dry with microfiber towel, all in the car port out of the sun. Then use glass cleaner for finger prints.) I noticed a few tiny brown spots that look like gunk but won’t come off with microfiber or with my fingernail. Is this rust? I included a video of an example

 

REM

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2023
Threads
10
Messages
2,857
Reaction score
2,662
Location
NC
Vehicles
2020 Model 3 Standard Range++ & Diet Cybertruck, Dual Motor
Occupation
Professional Retard
Country flag
This has been covered a multitude of times on the forum. Give that search function a try and join the discussions :)
 

Black306

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
512
Reaction score
449
Location
Sacramento
Vehicles
ā€˜24 DM CT | ā€˜23 M3 RWD
Country flag

Cyber Man

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
769
Reaction score
675
Location
California
Vehicles
BMW X1, Porsche Cayenne, R1T Perf max, Cyberbeast
Country flag
Yes, as @REM said, this topic has been rinsed and repeated a million times. They are NOT rust spots. It’s rail dust that oxidizes on the SS surface. Get one of those ironX or BKF or @CT Clean. I’m going to try CT Clean. They have a discount code running. BKF is a bit harsh and could make the panel too clean and polished. Please don’t get too OCD about the Stainless Steel. The metal is extremely durable.
 

REM

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2023
Threads
10
Messages
2,857
Reaction score
2,662
Location
NC
Vehicles
2020 Model 3 Standard Range++ & Diet Cybertruck, Dual Motor
Occupation
Professional Retard
Country flag
Yes, as @REM said, this topic has been rinsed and repeated a million times. They are NOT rust spots. It’s rail dust that oxidizes on the SS surface. Get one of those ironX or BKF or @CT Clean. I’m going to try CT Clean. They have a discount code running. BKF is a bit harsh and could make the panel too clean and polished. Please don’t get too OCD about the Stainless Steel. The metal is extremely durable.
Agreed. Easiest vehicle to wash (ever) and I have ended up washing it less and less because the natural patina is beautiful in its own right.
 

Indexck

Active member
First Name
Christopher
Joined
Apr 26, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
35
Reaction score
38
Location
Palm Coast, FL
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Utilities
Country flag
$5 bottle of BKF and some windex is your best cleaner. You can spot clean or do your whole car, the whole car job takes awhile and lots of mf cloths. I recommend getting an orbital buffer. It looks awesome after you do it!
 

Cyber Man

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
769
Reaction score
675
Location
California
Vehicles
BMW X1, Porsche Cayenne, R1T Perf max, Cyberbeast
Country flag
Agreed. Easiest vehicle to wash (ever) and I have ended up washing it less and less because the natural patina is beautiful in its own right.
Exactly! It’s been three months, and I have only washed three times in touch free car wash. I’m going to do a deep wash after getting the tint and one of the door scratch fixed by SC. I did light off-roading and took it to a friend’s place. It was a bit dusty. They all said it looks so nice and clean. lol ?. CT looks kick ass even with some dirt on it. I love every bit of the truck.
 

cybercricket

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 31, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
576
Reaction score
389
Location
Oregon
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Exactly! It’s been three months, and I have only washed three times in touch free car wash. I’m going to do a deep wash after getting the tint and one of the door scratch fixed by SC. I’m loving every bit of the truck. I did light off-roading and took it to a friend’s place. They all said it looks so nice and clean. lol ?
Hold on, we're supposed to wash this thing ? That's the final straw, taking it back...
 

Black306

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
512
Reaction score
449
Location
Sacramento
Vehicles
ā€˜24 DM CT | ā€˜23 M3 RWD
Country flag
Exactly! It’s been three months, and I have only washed three times in touch free car wash. I’m going to do a deep wash after getting the tint and one of the door scratch fixed by SC. I did light off-roading and took it to a friend’s place. It was a bit dusty. They all said it looks so nice and clean. lol ?. CT looks kick ass even with some dirt on it. I love every bit of the truck.
You washed yours 3X!?! What are you going to tell us next, that you vacuumed the interior!?! [faints] **thud**




I've only washed mine once in 3 months. ?
 

Black306

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
512
Reaction score
449
Location
Sacramento
Vehicles
ā€˜24 DM CT | ā€˜23 M3 RWD
Country flag

RobWashington

Member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Jun 6, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
18
Reaction score
9
Location
Washington
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Mazda Miata, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Hey everyone. Just picked up my CT about 3 weeks ago and love it. Doing my second wash today (water only, then blow dry, then hand dry with microfiber towel, all in the car port out of the sun. Then use glass cleaner for finger prints.) I noticed a few tiny brown spots that look like gunk but won’t come off with microfiber or with my fingernail. Is this rust? I included a video of an example

Why are CT owners OK with this? It snowed and was freezing for two weeks so I ā€œcouldn’t ā€œ wash my CT and now it is covered with these stains and pits in the metal. I made a service appointment to see what Tesla says. I want to see it in writing. Has a class action been started yet?
 

seussiii

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
237
Reaction score
329
Location
FL
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag

RobWashington

Member
First Name
Rob
Joined
Jun 6, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
18
Reaction score
9
Location
Washington
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Mazda Miata, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Sorry, not rail dust. The issue is that it reacts to the ā€œstainless ā€œ steel body and doesn’t come off easily. I have had over 40 vehicles without this problem. This is a complete failure from Tesla.
 
 
Top