• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Tow Hitch Cover removal is easy (DIY). 4-way and 7-way connectors underneath

Celiboy

Well-known member
First Name
Marcel
Joined
May 3, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
583
Reaction score
444
Location
Clovis, California
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
I'm suprised there is a 4-way connector in addition to the 7-way connector. Seems to violate "best part is no part" design.
I like it because it gives you options. My boat trailer has a 7 way connector but if I need to tow another trailer sometime in the future it’s nice to not need an adapter.
 

ÆCIII

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2020
Threads
6
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
832
Location
USA
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I'm glad both sockets are underneath out of the rain. I've seen issues where trailer connectors sometimes corrode, causing lights to be intermittently out. I guess they make some contact protection spray for that though.

Question: Since these are standard connectors for today's trailers, the pins would have to be providing a 12 volt electrical source for trailer lights/brakes correct? Has anyone checked them with a volt meter?

If 48 volts catches on and they make a trailer with 48 volt lights/brakes, Tesla might even design a new 48 volt trailer connector standard, smaller, easier to connect, with more reliable contact pins and sockets.

So who knows, maybe future Cybertrucks might even have three trailer connectors instead of two? I think we'd want them to be physically different form factors though, to remain idiot proof and backward compatible.

- ÆCIII
 

scottf200

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 31, 2021
Threads
48
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
1,199
Location
Western NC
Vehicles
X; immed family 3 & Y
Country flag

Sousray

Well-known member
First Name
Ray
Joined
Apr 23, 2023
Threads
9
Messages
102
Reaction score
39
Location
San Antonio
Vehicles
2019 M3
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
looks like we have a 12V source to connect to for some more common accessories. (lights, etc)
 

COLAB

Well-known member
First Name
Bruno
Joined
Jul 17, 2023
Threads
7
Messages
224
Reaction score
32
Location
Carignan
Website
colabconcept.org
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Product manager IT services
Country flag
Removing the tow hitch cover is easy -- just remove these 3 clips.



cybertruck tow hitch cover clips.jpeg


Posted by @VoyageATXBen
Sir,
Just to be sure, this part of hitch and connections are there for each versions of CT please or it's optional ?
;) ?
 

FarAway

Well-known member
First Name
I.
Joined
Mar 30, 2022
Threads
57
Messages
660
Reaction score
463
Location
Central Virginia
Vehicles
TVR, Jeep Jk Sahara, Audi Q7, FS CyberBeast
Country flag
Nice to see. The trailer plug receptacles seem well designed.

Not sure if the CT will ever see a 5th wheel, but when I had mine installed in the bed of an F-250 I added an additional trailer plug receptacle inside the bed so the trailer wiring was not dangling over the tailgate down to the bumper.

Similar to this photo, it could go in the area where the 120v/240v receptacles are now located on the CT.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Tow Hitch Cover removal is easy (DIY). 4-way and 7-way connectors underneath 1704734802786
 

Woodrick

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
3,540
Reaction score
2,231
Location
Gainesville Ga
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm glad both sockets are underneath out of the rain. I've seen issues where trailer connectors sometimes corrode, causing lights to be intermittently out. I guess they make some contact protection spray for that though.

Question: Since these are standard connectors for today's trailers, the pins would have to be providing a 12 volt electrical source for trailer lights/brakes correct? Has anyone checked them with a volt meter?

If 48 volts catches on and they make a trailer with 48 volt lights/brakes, Tesla might even design a new 48 volt trailer connector standard, smaller, easier to connect, with more reliable contact pins and sockets.

So who knows, maybe future Cybertrucks might even have three trailer connectors instead of two? I think we'd want them to be physically different form factors though, to remain idiot proof and backward compatible.

- ÆCIII
I dare say that won't happen until the second Cybertruck refresh.
48V allows more power to be pulled from the main battery. Most of the time you want that limited, you don't want the trailer to kill your tow vehicle's battery.
 
 
Top