• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Tonneau cover leaks

hodginator

Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2022
Threads
1
Messages
22
Reaction score
16
Location
USA
Vehicles
Model X and CT AWD
Country flag
I'll have to pull the the cover on mine as I don't have the leak but did before the slat fix. It's possible that they are also fixing the seal where the cover connects to the truck at the same time they add the slat. Since having the slat fix, I have had zero water intrusion even under hard rain and pressure washing.

I hope you get the issue resolved.
 

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
insert a door edge guard on the weather seal of the applique that touches the roof glass. Mine now is sealed and yes I live in SoCal. With that rain that we had, no water got in during my drive and car wash. If you’re going to the cyber odyssey event this January, I can show you
What door edge guard are you referring to? Would it be possible to add a link? I was visiting southern cali during the storms last week and all my stuff in the bed got drenched

I have an appointment with service center but from what I read adding the slat may not help probably need to do what you are referring to

Thanks
 

CybertruckDV

Active member
First Name
Louie
Joined
Sep 2, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
30
Reaction score
8
Location
Newbury Park
Vehicles
Model Y AWD, Model 3 RWD, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
What door edge guard are you referring to? Would it be possible to add a link? I was visiting southern cali during the storms last week and all my stuff in the bed got drenched

I have an appointment with service center but from what I read adding the slat may not help probably need to do what you are referring to

Thanks
This is what I used.

https://a.co/d/7DUrP7r
 

Cybertruck2024

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
515
Reaction score
397
Location
Buffalo
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
Are there any concerns these aftermarket fixes could void a warranty? If your tonneau gets stuck and you bring it in for servicing and you've put a bunch of aftermarket seals on the truck, is there a chance Tesla wouldn't cover tonneau fix?

This is why I don't want to modify the truck. If Tesla won't fix it, then I am stuck with a swimming pool.
 

stebb1174

Well-known member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Threads
4
Messages
55
Reaction score
19
Location
CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Are there any concerns these aftermarket fixes could void a warranty? If your tonneau gets stuck and you bring it in for servicing and you've put a bunch of aftermarket seals on the truck, is there a chance Tesla wouldn't cover tonneau fix?

This is why I don't want to modify the truck. If Tesla won't fix it, then I am stuck with a swimming pool.
I share your concerns so I'm planning on letting Tesla try and fix first. If that does not work then I'm going to try and fix myself. I'm not going to just sit still and let it keep happening.

This is really a problem that Tesla should fix and sounds like they will based on one of the recent posts I read. Sounds like they are replacing the seal near the glass at the same time of adding the missing slat.

I plan on addressing this concern with the service center advisor at the time of service.

Again if it was just a little water intrusion not a big deal but everything was soaked in my bed this is not a within spec situation. I can also see water staining near the glass where the missing slat is I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Will let you know after the service visit
 

CyberTrk

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2019
Threads
6
Messages
120
Reaction score
122
Location
Cyberspace
Vehicles
サイバートラック
Country flag
I had to borrow my parents $25k Hyundai Santa Cruz for a recent trip, because it was going to be raining, and their tonneau actually works and is waterproof.
Looking at the video (#3 posting) I wonder if just covering the roof area between the glass and the top of the tonneau cover with a duct tape could prevent the water leak as a temporary fix?

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Tonneau cover leaks CT Roof leak c


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Tonneau cover leaks CT Roof leak
 

Mal

Well-known member
First Name
Mal
Joined
Feb 13, 2024
Threads
24
Messages
459
Reaction score
680
Location
WA
Vehicles
'24 CB "Rocinante"
Country flag

CyberTrk

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2019
Threads
6
Messages
120
Reaction score
122
Location
Cyberspace
Vehicles
サイバートラック
Country flag
Last edited:

Cybertruck2024

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
515
Reaction score
397
Location
Buffalo
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
Yes. That's what I (and others) have done. Mine's been on there for 6 months now. Doesn't work if you need to remove the aeroflap, though, like for the tent.

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...your-bed-vault-how-to-diy.43427/post-30596808
When I travel or have a full load in the bed, maybe I'll just put duct tape on. This is actually probably the best solution.

On the other hand, having a Cybertruck in the wild covered in duct tape likely will get you on the internet as a meme very quickly.
 

Mal

Well-known member
First Name
Mal
Joined
Feb 13, 2024
Threads
24
Messages
459
Reaction score
680
Location
WA
Vehicles
'24 CB "Rocinante"
Country flag
When I travel or have a full load in the bed, maybe I'll just put duct tape on. This is actually probably the best solution.

On the other hand, having a Cybertruck in the wild covered in duct tape likely will get you on the internet as a meme very quickly.
I used black electrical tape (decent quality, not the cheap cheap stuff) before I put the windshield tape on. You can't even see it's there, and it lasted for months too.

Be sure to give the area a good cleaning so the tape adheres. I think I used some alcohol, but a glass cleaner that doesn't leave a residue should work.
 

CyberGus

Well-known member
First Name
Gus
Joined
May 22, 2021
Threads
76
Messages
8,529
Reaction score
10,726
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
1981 DeLorean, 2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
IT Specialist
Country flag
On the other hand, having a Cybertruck in the wild covered in duct tape likely will get you on the internet as a meme very quickly.
Available in black.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Tonneau cover leaks hq720



but this is janky AF lol
 

Mal

Well-known member
First Name
Mal
Joined
Feb 13, 2024
Threads
24
Messages
459
Reaction score
680
Location
WA
Vehicles
'24 CB "Rocinante"
Country flag
I want to get a tattoo somewhere that says "Janky, but effective". Maybe in Kanji or Sanskrit. Tell people it's ancient wisdom.
 

CyberGus

Well-known member
First Name
Gus
Joined
May 22, 2021
Threads
76
Messages
8,529
Reaction score
10,726
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
1981 DeLorean, 2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
IT Specialist
Country flag
I want to get a tattoo somewhere that says "Janky, but effective". Maybe in Kanji or Sanskrit. Tell people it's ancient wisdom.
In Japanese:

粗雑だが効果的​
Sozatsudaga kōka-teki​

Just don't put the tattoo on your lower back :ROFLMAO:
 

Mal

Well-known member
First Name
Mal
Joined
Feb 13, 2024
Threads
24
Messages
459
Reaction score
680
Location
WA
Vehicles
'24 CB "Rocinante"
Country flag
In Japanese:

粗雑だが効果的​
Sozatsudaga kōka-teki​

Just don't put the tattoo on your lower back :ROFLMAO:
Given the text, I suppose there is one obvious place to put it ...
 
OP
OP
ARMANDO PADILLA

ARMANDO PADILLA

Well-known member
First Name
Armando
Joined
Oct 10, 2024
Threads
43
Messages
450
Reaction score
120
Location
Los Angeles
Vehicles
'24 Foundation S CBeast, '04 Chevy Blazer, '73 Ford Bronco, '90 RangeRover (RIP)
Occupation
Finish carpenter/day trader/entrepreneur
Country flag
Not all service stations are created equally. My service station said water intrusion is within spec and the bed is not waterproof. Once that is communicated, there is no fix, because Tesla believes nothing is broken.

I had to borrow my parents $25k Hyundai Santa Cruz for a recent trip, because it was going to be raining, and their tonneau actually works and is waterproof. It is funny my vehicle that cost 5x what their's did isn't as well made. Trust me, the Beast is a lot more fun to drive and the tech is better, but it isn't constructed nearly as well as a Santa Cruz. The tonneau is just one very easy example of this.
And there are many of these examples. That is something I was not expecting with this truck as expensive as it is. and that factor go's up the sooner you got your truck delivered. like that's what we get for being early adopters. the newer trucks are much better and, much cheaper.
and I agree with you on the technology side and performance nothing campares. it's the cosmetic stuff that sucks.
 
 
Top