• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

This is Hilarious : "Ford Keeps Laughing at Tesla..."

Jim Polkowski

Member
First Name
Jim P
Joined
Jun 10, 2020
Threads
0
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
48381
Vehicles
Traverse
Country flag
Yes but Ford will continue to sell ICE Trucks for many many years and for a lot less $$$ and make a profit. I predict in a few years there will be a glut of $50,000 + vehicles sitting around if the Biden bill for tax rebates does not pass.
And I don't believe any CT will sell for less than $65,000 with taxes and with a $10,000 tax rebate it will still cost $55,000 or more. A lot of reservation holders will probably back off. I also doubt any CT will be sold in 2022. Tesla will just sell more MYs
 

CyberT

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2020
Threads
14
Messages
504
Reaction score
558
Location
Orange County, CA
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD and 2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
And I don't believe any CT will sell for less than $65,000 with taxes and with a $10,000 tax rebate it will still cost $55,000 or more. A lot of reservation holders will probably back off. I also doubt any CT will be sold in 2022. Tesla will just sell more MYs
I don't think this will age well.

We all hope that you missed the mark on your prediction
 

Luke42

Well-known member
First Name
Luke
Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Threads
0
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
922
Location
Illinois, USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, GMC Sierra Hybrid 3HB (2-Mode)
Country flag
Here's a question I have for Ford/Ford people... How will all these ICE-centric dealers adapt to fixing the electrics? How much EV hate will there be among the advisors and mechanics? I know a good solid percentage of "car guys" are anti-EV. I know that my Tesla contacts are going to be with fanbois like me, but what about taking my "neutered little battery truck" to a testosterone-fueled asshole who doesn't want it to exist, let alone deal with it?
I currently own one of the GMT900 2-mode hybrids made from 2009-2013. It's a Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade with a Prius-like drive train.

My experience finding a GM dealer who is willing to work on this GM vehicle has been strongly negative. They're just not interested in working on a niche vehicle, no matter how interesting or educational it is. You'd think a mechanic would at least be curious about different ways to do things -- but that's me, not the average mechanic.

A dealer's service center is built around is moving the metal through the service center as quickly as possible, while being as "by the book" as possible.

Resistance to change has been evident in every aspect of my interaction with GMC/Chevy dealers -- from complaining about mechanical differences in my GM vehicle, to the political talk radio that the shuttle van drivers insist on listening to.

Ford has a much wider variety of hybrids than GM does, and is in the process of rolling out a lot of hybrid, PHEV, and EV models -- so the situation will likely be somewhat better there. But how much better? Does that mean each dealer has one "hybrid guy"? Or two?

Dealers who are culturally stuck in the past will be a big problem for EV trucks from the US Big 2.5 automakers.

P.S. The Ford Lightning and upcoming Silverado-EV both have big advantages in terms of compatibility with bolt-on tools used by fleets. But, as a retail buyer, I'm more concerned about getting technical support over the service-life of the vehicle -- and Tesla/Rivian are likely a better bet, despite their upstart status.
 
Last edited:

A.W.Jelfs

Member
First Name
Asa
Joined
Oct 8, 2021
Threads
1
Messages
21
Reaction score
33
Location
Adelaide Australia
Vehicles
HQ gts 350 monaro Ht gts 307 monaro
Occupation
retired investor
Country flag
Ha
And I don't believe any CT will sell for less than $65,000 with taxes and with a $10,000 tax rebate it will still cost $55,000 or more. A lot of reservation holders will probably back off. I also doubt any CT will be sold in 2022. Tesla will just sell more MYs
Hi Jim from Australia
If half of the reservation holders backed off, tesla would still have three times the reservations of Ford. I think what will happen is when Tesla releases the Cybertruck next year many Ford reservation holders will think they have made a mistake and switch to the Cybertruck.
 

FutureBoy

Well-known member
First Name
Reginald
Joined
Oct 1, 2020
Threads
205
Messages
3,344
Reaction score
1,940
Location
Kirkland WA USA
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Ha


Hi Jim from Australia
If half of the reservation holders backed off, tesla would still have three times the reservations of Ford. I think what will happen is when Tesla releases the Cybertruck next year many Ford reservation holders will think they have made a mistake and switch to the Cybertruck.
Just wait till some customers start getting their CTs delivered. There will be so many crazy videos out of CTs being driven, some in crazy/unexpected ways, that no one wanting a truck will be able to ignore. I suspect these videos will really push a migration of orders to the CT.
 

Ogre

Well-known member
First Name
Dennis
Joined
Jul 3, 2021
Threads
163
Messages
9,549
Reaction score
7,338
Location
Ogregon
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just wait till some customers start getting their CTs delivered. There will be so many crazy videos out of CTs being driven, some in crazy/unexpected ways, that no one wanting a truck will be able to ignore. I suspect these videos will really push a migration of orders to the CT.
Seems pretty clear people really want EVs and electric trucks in particular. Whoever can start making them in volume first is going to clean up. I’m pretty sure we know who is going to get this volume thing figured out first.

In 5 years, nobody is going to care who was a year sooner.
 
OP
OP
myrickma

myrickma

Active member
Joined
Oct 27, 2021
Threads
5
Messages
42
Reaction score
39
Location
FL
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
And I don't believe any CT will sell for less than $65,000 with taxes and with a $10,000 tax rebate it will still cost $55,000 or more. A lot of reservation holders will probably back off. I also doubt any CT will be sold in 2022. Tesla will just sell more MYs
65K (right now) sounds right with (DM w/ FSD) IMO. Solar will probably not be super popular right away (made a thread on this, best estimate about $3500). So DM, FSD, Solar, taxes 68500.
10k rebate, 58500, gas savings (S is 5k ,CT might be more) 53500.
Average 2021 F150 (30 to 75 k) ICE is 52,500 w/o tax, gas/maintenance.
that's 61,150 with tax, gas/maintenance. (CT 53500).

Will everyone buy, no of course not. Wait times, not cost (7650 difference) will be the biggest factor and Tesla buyers/owners know this going in. Debut in 19, originally expected in 2021, now likely 23/24. Even if the cost went up 5k, it's still less and you're not getting your hands on a Rivian or F150 Lighting by then or less (will likely be more with comparable features/performance).
 

jerhenderson

Well-known member
First Name
Jeremy
Joined
Feb 20, 2020
Threads
12
Messages
2,129
Reaction score
997
Location
Prince George BC
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
And I don't believe any CT will sell for less than $65,000 with taxes and with a $10,000 tax rebate it will still cost $55,000 or more. A lot of reservation holders will probably back off. I also doubt any CT will be sold in 2022. Tesla will just sell more MYs
with 80+% of reservations being the more expensive models, I don't think you're going to see many back off. I'm not going to.
 

PointHope

Well-known member
First Name
Axle
Joined
Sep 16, 2021
Threads
7
Messages
122
Reaction score
45
Location
Thailand
Vehicles
2011 Isuzu D-Max, RN113415***,RN113855***
Occupation
Resource Management Specialist
Country flag
, if the F150 and CT end up being similarly priced for similar options, I will switch to F150.
Seriously!
There's virtually zero comparison to the design and manufacturing leaps forward represented by Cybertruck.
The F150 ev is simply an 'add on' to an ancient petrol guzzling platform

The CT is freaking total revolution in manufacturing, durability, and legacy planned obsolescence.
A complete industry game changer is in your face.
And you might prefer the old turd parked in your driveway???
Unbelievable!
 

SwampNut

Banned
Well-known member
Banned
First Name
Carlos
Joined
Jul 26, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
781
Location
Peoria, AZ
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Zero SR/S, Smart
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Seriously!
There's virtually zero comparison to the design and manufacturing leaps forward represented by Cybertruck.
The F150 ev is simply an 'add on' to an ancient petrol guzzling platform

The CT is freaking total revolution in manufacturing, durability, and legacy planned obsolescence.
A complete industry game changer is in your face.
And you might prefer the old turd parked in your driveway???
Unbelievable!
Most people fear change.
 

Sirfun

Well-known member
First Name
Joe
Joined
Dec 28, 2019
Threads
48
Messages
2,179
Reaction score
1,443
Location
Oxnard, California
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y , Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Most people fear change.
Fear is a powerful tool. It can be used quite effectively, especially to resist change. Change is the unknown. All our lives, we are taught to fear the unknown! Something familiar feels safe.

That plus, Ford and all the OEMs stick with what worked before. They only take small steps!
 

SpaceDoc

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Threads
5
Messages
152
Reaction score
45
Location
Houston, Tx
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-keeps-laughing-at-tesla-cybertruck-delays

Let me sum it up, Ford has 160,000 F150L Reservations, CT over 1 Million.
Ford plans to make 20k in 2022, and 50k in 2023, 80k in 2024. CT starts next year as well, "volume in 2023" (I'm assuming thats 5k per week?, that's 260k, but hey lets half it 130k in 2023, 260k in 2024).

So.... CT has more than 6X reservations (the counter is much higher than that). F150L will build 150k+ in 3 years (their current reservations). CT in that same time (3 year average with estimates) will build well over 455k (65k 2022, 130k 2023, 260k 2024) and still have reservations to fill.

As I said, it's hilarious lol.
As production hasn’t started for either of them, we can laugh at both Tesla and Ford. Or maybe cry a little… ?
 

SwampNut

Banned
Well-known member
Banned
First Name
Carlos
Joined
Jul 26, 2021
Threads
11
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
781
Location
Peoria, AZ
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Zero SR/S, Smart
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I love change. I'm simply not interested in a truck with an electric motor cobbled into it.
 
 
Top