• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Spare tire mounting shelf option for bed vault (inexpensive but useful) - DIY

togaxx

Member
First Name
Lowell
Joined
Jul 18, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
22
Reaction score
47
Location
Texas
Vehicles
2024 Cyberbeast
Country flag
First off, thanks to bkellisimo for their original idea to use cargo straps to hold the spare off the floor of the bed.

I took it one step further as I already had a molle shelf from one of the aftermarket companies.
I purchased some threaded T Track mounts and fabbed up some 8" drops to put the spare in (IMHO) an optimal spot.

It is very secure and keeps the floor clear for sheet goods or other long stuff and still allows the tonneau cover to close completely.

The pictures are of early stage design - I need to get proper size bolts and finish cleaning everything and painting but I am very happy with the results.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Spare tire mounting shelf option for bed vault (inexpensive but useful) - DIY 20251125_132524


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Spare tire mounting shelf option for bed vault (inexpensive but useful) - DIY 20251125_160416


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Spare tire mounting shelf option for bed vault (inexpensive but useful) - DIY 20251125_160420


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Spare tire mounting shelf option for bed vault (inexpensive but useful) - DIY 20251125_160434


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Spare tire mounting shelf option for bed vault (inexpensive but useful) - DIY 20251125_160721
 

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
First off, thanks to bkellisimo for their original idea to use cargo straps to hold the spare off the floor of the bed.

I took it one step further as I already had a molle shelf from one of the aftermarket companies.
I purchased some threaded T Track mounts and fabbed up some 8" drops to put the spare in (IMHO) an optimal spot.

It is very secure and keeps the floor clear for sheet goods or other long stuff and still allows the tonneau cover to close completely.

The pictures are of early stage design - I need to get proper size bolts and finish cleaning everything and painting but I am very happy with the results.

20251125_132524.webp


20251125_160416.webp


20251125_160420.webp


20251125_160434.webp


20251125_160721.webp
Read my mind. Awesome work man.
 

kpanda17

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2023
Threads
17
Messages
608
Reaction score
346
Location
USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
First off, thanks to bkellisimo for their original idea to use cargo straps to hold the spare off the floor of the bed.

I took it one step further as I already had a molle shelf from one of the aftermarket companies.
I purchased some threaded T Track mounts and fabbed up some 8" drops to put the spare in (IMHO) an optimal spot.

It is very secure and keeps the floor clear for sheet goods or other long stuff and still allows the tonneau cover to close completely.

The pictures are of early stage design - I need to get proper size bolts and finish cleaning everything and painting but I am very happy with the results.

20251125_132524.webp


20251125_160416.webp


20251125_160420.webp


20251125_160434.webp


20251125_160721.webp
amazing
The accessories look relevant, maybe a bed ramp, etc
On my list
 

kpanda17

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2023
Threads
17
Messages
608
Reaction score
346
Location
USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
First off, thanks to bkellisimo for their original idea to use cargo straps to hold the spare off the floor of the bed.

I took it one step further as I already had a molle shelf from one of the aftermarket companies.
I purchased some threaded T Track mounts and fabbed up some 8" drops to put the spare in (IMHO) an optimal spot.

It is very secure and keeps the floor clear for sheet goods or other long stuff and still allows the tonneau cover to close completely.

The pictures are of early stage design - I need to get proper size bolts and finish cleaning everything and painting but I am very happy with the results.

20251125_132524.webp


20251125_160416.webp


20251125_160420.webp


20251125_160434.webp


20251125_160721.webp
Can you tell us about the molle shelf? It can’t be for a cybertruck as those attach at L track level and would not fit down that low. Must be for a diff vehicle.
 
OP
OP

togaxx

Member
First Name
Lowell
Joined
Jul 18, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
22
Reaction score
47
Location
Texas
Vehicles
2024 Cyberbeast
Country flag
It actually is for a cybertruck. I dont remember where I got it from - its been over a year. The original mounts stuck out several inches - the flat brackets make it fit perfect at the lower height.
The weight on the track is straight down - I think that is where it is stronger - sheer load.
 
OP
OP

togaxx

Member
First Name
Lowell
Joined
Jul 18, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
22
Reaction score
47
Location
Texas
Vehicles
2024 Cyberbeast
Country flag
whoops "shear" is the correct term I believe.
 

Pulaski

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 17, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
236
Reaction score
241
Location
Minnesota
Vehicles
Ram 5500(2021), F-450(2014), Chevy Colorado(2022), FS CB
Country flag
Thank you for sharing. I am looking at that same rack and wondering if it was too wide to do exactly what you did. Now I have my answer.
 

LarryASilva

Well-known member
First Name
Larry
Joined
Nov 3, 2023
Threads
3
Messages
45
Reaction score
46
Location
SF Bay Area
Vehicles
Boxster, MiniVan
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Dang what a great idea ! Naturally, we are all wondering what Tesla has to say about the stress of this weight while off roading etc. I bet a lot of us would buy a proven commercial version of this product if Tesla could verify the stresses are acceptable. I would hate to be bouncing around a bit on a road when the spare tire pops the tonneau cover off its track ... or somehow causes a jam.
 

mongo

Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
3,489
Reaction score
3,010
Location
SE Michigan
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
Dang what a great idea ! Naturally, we are all wondering what Tesla has to say about the stress of this weight while off roading etc. I bet a lot of us would buy a proven commercial version of this product if Tesla could verify the stresses are acceptable. I would hate to be bouncing around a bit on a road when the spare tire pops the tonneau cover off its track ... or somehow causes a jam.
I can't find the reference, but I think Tesla (Wes?) recommended having the tonneau open if you are doing jumpy stuff.
 

kpanda17

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2023
Threads
17
Messages
608
Reaction score
346
Location
USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
Cybergearco has theirs $319 and holds 225 lbs
Foronetry and other cheaper shelves are $150-180 but don’t specify max weight capacity
 

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
Cybergearco has theirs $319 and holds 225 lbs
Foronetry and other cheaper shelves are $150-180 but don’t specify max weight capacity
Do you think this particular Chinese reseller is selling a different product than the others? That’s very interesting.
Anyone here bought it and another one elsewhere who can compare?
 

kpanda17

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 8, 2023
Threads
17
Messages
608
Reaction score
346
Location
USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
Do you think this particular Chinese reseller is selling a different product than the others? That’s very interesting.
Anyone here bought it and another one elsewhere who can compare?
Agree, aren’t they all the same
But why the cheapies not providing strength spec?
 

resellpanda88

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
215
Reaction score
70
Location
NY
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag
this is great. if you are planning to sell the mounts in the future please let us know.
 
 
Top