• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector....

OP
OP
BornToFly

BornToFly

Well-known member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Nov 27, 2019
Threads
5
Messages
100
Reaction score
148
Location
Utah
Vehicles
S, X, 3, Y and CT
Country flag
Test Complete!!!! Big Thanks to Airstream of Utah for letting me do the test.

I did a 17 mile (total) out and back (4 times total) with cruise control set for 60 and 65. Temp around 50. Flag along the highway basically limp (very little wind). Climate control off to minimize any weather related battery usage. A little bit of altitude loss heading West, which I gained back heading East. I hit trip reset at the start and took a picture of the energy usage when I passed the same spot coming back.

It did not go perfectly, in that the front of my wind deflector was fluttering like crazy with the trailer behind it. This is in contrast to no flutter without the trailer. I tried to stop the flutter by duck taping the front edge down to the top of the windshield. It would only hold for about 7 miles. It would flutter badly for about a mile with masking tape everywhere until I got to my U-turn spot, at which point I would get out, tape it again, and then do the leg back. Once again, it would flutter about a mile from the end. Without the flutter, I think the range would have been even better. After the test was complete, it pulled off the front completely on the way home. Luckily I was able to limp home.

Altitude about 4,500 above sea level, which gives me better range than anyone at sea level. In the summer, the density altitude is over 7,000, so towing range will be even better in the summer.

Results towing Airstream Basecamp 20X with (stupid) off-road tires at 4,500 MSL:
No Deflector 60 mph - 620 Wh/mi = 198 mile range
No Deflector 65 mph - 688 Wh/mi = 178 mile range

Deflector 60 mph - 546 Wh/mi = 225 mile range
Defector 65 mph - 601 Wh/mi = 204 mile range

So with the Defector, range is at least 10% better. If I had had access to the trailer earlier, I would have made the side panels longer to bridge more of the gap, probably increasing range even more. Vortex Generators on the sides would also probably increase range.

Tires on the trailer are RIDICULOUSLY knobby. I can probably get another 10% improvement with road tires.

This wind screen was a rough prototype. If I would built it again, I would use 1 inch Aluminum square tubing, and a metal flat section for the front roof just above the windshield to prevent flapping.

I was originally going to make this for my son, who is getting a Basecamp, but the design got so long and tall that he has no place to store it. So I think the project dies here for now.....

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Image 10


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Image 12


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Image 13


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Image 14


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Image 16


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Image 11
 
Last edited:

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
Test Complete!!!!

I did a 17 mile (total) out and back (4 times total) with cruise control set for 60 and 65. Temp around 50. Flag along the highway basically limp (very little wind). Climate control off to minimize any weather related battery usage. A little bit of altitude loss heading West, which I gained back heading East. I hit trip reset at the start and took a picture of the energy usage when I passed the same spot coming back.

It did not go perfectly, in that the front of my wind deflector was fluttering like crazy with the trailer behind it. This is in contrast to no flutter without the trailer. I tried to stop the flutter by duck taping the front edge down to the top of the windshield. It would only hold for about 7 miles. It would flutter badly for about a mile with masking tape everywhere until I got to my U-turn spot, at which point I would get out, tape it again, and then do the leg back. Once again, it would flutter about a mile from the end. Without the flutter, I think the range would have been even better. After the test was complete, it pulled off the front completely on the way home. Luckily I was able to limp home.

Altitude about 4,500 above sea level, which gives me better range that anyone at sea level. In the summer, the density altitude is over 7,000, so towing range will be even better in the summer.

Results towing Airstream Basecamp 20X with (stupid) off-road tires at 4,500 MSL:
No Deflector 60 mph - 620 Wh/mi = 198 mile range
No Deflector 65 mph - 688 Wh/mi = 178 mile range

Deflector 60 mph - 546 Wh/mi = 225 mile range
Defector 65 mph - 601 Wh/mi = 204 mile range

So with the Defector, range is at least 10% better. If I had had access to the trailer earlier, I would have made the side panels longer to bridge more of the gap, probably increasing range even more. Vortex Generators on the sides would also probably increase range.

Tires on the trailer are RIDICULOUSLY knobby. I can probably get another 10% improvement with road tires.

This wind screen was a rough prototype. If I would built it again, I would use 1 inch Aluminum square tubing, and a metal flat section for the front roof just above the windshield to prevent flapping.

I was originally going to make this for my son, who is getting a Basecamp, but the design got so long and tall that he has no place to store it. So I think the project dies here for now.....

Image 10.webp


Image 12.webp


Image 13.webp


Image 14.webp


Image 16.webp
Brilliant. Wish I could have been there
 
OP
OP
BornToFly

BornToFly

Well-known member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Nov 27, 2019
Threads
5
Messages
100
Reaction score
148
Location
Utah
Vehicles
S, X, 3, Y and CT
Country flag
If someone in SLC has a standard Airstream with road tires, I would be willing to look into getting a rigid sheet for the front top of my deflector, and try the test again. Curious what it would look like with a 25-27 footer.... We can do the test together (I don't need to have the trailer without its owner).
 

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
Test Complete!!!! Big Thanks to Airstream of Utah for letting me do the test.

I did a 17 mile (total) out and back (4 times total) with cruise control set for 60 and 65. Temp around 50. Flag along the highway basically limp (very little wind). Climate control off to minimize any weather related battery usage. A little bit of altitude loss heading West, which I gained back heading East. I hit trip reset at the start and took a picture of the energy usage when I passed the same spot coming back.

It did not go perfectly, in that the front of my wind deflector was fluttering like crazy with the trailer behind it. This is in contrast to no flutter without the trailer. I tried to stop the flutter by duck taping the front edge down to the top of the windshield. It would only hold for about 7 miles. It would flutter badly for about a mile with masking tape everywhere until I got to my U-turn spot, at which point I would get out, tape it again, and then do the leg back. Once again, it would flutter about a mile from the end. Without the flutter, I think the range would have been even better. After the test was complete, it pulled off the front completely on the way home. Luckily I was able to limp home.

Altitude about 4,500 above sea level, which gives me better range than anyone at sea level. In the summer, the density altitude is over 7,000, so towing range will be even better in the summer.

Results towing Airstream Basecamp 20X with (stupid) off-road tires at 4,500 MSL:
No Deflector 60 mph - 620 Wh/mi = 198 mile range
No Deflector 65 mph - 688 Wh/mi = 178 mile range

Deflector 60 mph - 546 Wh/mi = 225 mile range
Defector 65 mph - 601 Wh/mi = 204 mile range

So with the Defector, range is at least 10% better. If I had had access to the trailer earlier, I would have made the side panels longer to bridge more of the gap, probably increasing range even more. Vortex Generators on the sides would also probably increase range.

Tires on the trailer are RIDICULOUSLY knobby. I can probably get another 10% improvement with road tires.

This wind screen was a rough prototype. If I would built it again, I would use 1 inch Aluminum square tubing, and a metal flat section for the front roof just above the windshield to prevent flapping.

I was originally going to make this for my son, who is getting a Basecamp, but the design got so long and tall that he has no place to store it. So I think the project dies here for now.....

Image 10.webp


Image 12.webp


Image 13.webp


Image 14.webp


Image 16.webp


Image 11.webp
This is actually much better looking than I thought it was gonna be. It’s another one of those examples of form improving through inspiring function.
 

65SoYoLO

Well-known member
First Name
Keith
Joined
Feb 9, 2021
Threads
29
Messages
1,527
Reaction score
1,177
Location
Long Island NY
Vehicles
2024 CyberTruck
Occupation
Retired truck driver
Country flag
I was thinking this exact same thing! What do you think about moving the front of the deflector back a little so the air is not hitting the front edge?
I am currently towing my 17' Casita FD across the country (and back) and *NEED* more range.
 

Speedr

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2023
Threads
12
Messages
449
Reaction score
529
Location
Florida
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
If someone in SLC has a standard Airstream with road tires, I would be willing to look into getting a rigid sheet for the front top of my deflector, and try the test again. Curious what it would look like with a 25-27 footer.... We can do the test together (I don't need to have the trailer without its owner).

Not sure if I missed it, but I'd pick a more standard travel trailer for testing. Airstreams seem to be more aerodynamic than most, and are also the "Cadillac" of the RV world: very expensive compared to normal Travel Trailers (not saying they're not worth it, just out of reach for most people). I also think a more normal trailer shape would better show how big the improvements are from your invention.

GREAT WORK BTW!!!
 

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
Picked up this new toy over the weekend for a song. Going to split it with my in-laws. Will keep it in washington over the summers and here in Arizona during the winters.
Do you guys think there is any benefit to “deflecting” for something low like a pop-up?

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... IMG_6661


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... IMG_6660
 

KrennPowerSports

Well-known member
First Name
john
Joined
Jan 2, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
60
Reaction score
38
Location
DFW,Texas
Vehicles
none yet.
Country flag
so you only did 4 miles each way? I have a BC 16... i've found it to be WAY better than any other enclosed type trailer.. that said, If im going to go 60-65mph, I usually draft off a big truck and it helps a lot but never have we seen sub 600 on long trips with it. i can get right at 600 if i go less than 65mph AND draft off a big truck... ive been trying to get a hold of polydrop to maybe buy a camper from them and get some real world numbers, but they don't reply...
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
Picked up this new toy over the weekend for a song. Going to split it with my in-laws. Will keep it in washington over the summers and here in Arizona during the winters.
Do you guys think there is any benefit to “deflecting” for something low like a pop-up?

IMG_6661.webp


IMG_6660.webp
It would be easier to tell the potential benefit once we have a photo of the truck/trailer combo from the side view.

It would have been nice if that air conditioner could "pop-in" when not in use!
 

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
It would be easier to tell the potential benefit once we have a photo of the truck/trailer combo from the side view.

It would have been nice if that air conditioner could "pop-in" when not in use!
For sure. But we got it for under 8k. Was a pretty good deal I think. I split it with my father in law.
 
OP
OP
BornToFly

BornToFly

Well-known member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Nov 27, 2019
Threads
5
Messages
100
Reaction score
148
Location
Utah
Vehicles
S, X, 3, Y and CT
Country flag
so you only did 4 miles each way? I have a BC 16... i've found it to be WAY better than any other enclosed type trailer.. that said, If im going to go 60-65mph, I usually draft off a big truck and it helps a lot but never have we seen sub 600 on long trips with it. i can get right at 600 if i go less than 65mph AND draft off a big truck... ive been trying to get a hold of polydrop to maybe buy a camper from them and get some real world numbers, but they don't reply...
No, I did 16 miles for each test.
 
OP
OP
BornToFly

BornToFly

Well-known member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Nov 27, 2019
Threads
5
Messages
100
Reaction score
148
Location
Utah
Vehicles
S, X, 3, Y and CT
Country flag
Picked up this new toy over the weekend for a song. Going to split it with my in-laws. Will keep it in washington over the summers and here in Arizona during the winters.
Do you guys think there is any benefit to “deflecting” for something low like a pop-up?

IMG_6661.webp


IMG_6660.webp
We were looking at Aliners for my son, but the daughter in law really wanted an inside shower. We ended up getting a 2023 Basecamp 20 with only 500 miles for $39,500. The dealer wanted $36k for the Aliner Evolution LG. The fact that they were similar in price was crazy.

The Aliner should be under 550Wh/mi at 65. I don't think a deflector will help much because it is pretty much shielded behind the CT already. But see how it lines up, and maybe do something small starting at the start of the tonneau and just going horizontal.

We rented a RAM 2500 since we flew into ABQ. My goodness does that truck ride like garbage. Most people have no idea how good the CT is.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Imag


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Preparing trailer range test with and without a wind deflector.... Image 1
 

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
We were looking at Aliners for my son, but the daughter in law really wanted an inside shower. We ended up getting a 2023 Basecamp 20 with only 500 miles for $39,500. The dealer wanted $36k for the Aliner Evolution LG. The fact that they were similar in price was crazy.

The Aliner should be under 550Wh/mi at 65. I don't think a deflector will help much because it is pretty much shielded behind the CT already. But see how it lines up, and maybe do something small starting at the start of the tonneau and just going horizontal.

We rented a RAM 2500 since we flew into ABQ. My good does that truck ride like garbage. Most people have no idea how good the CT is.

Image.webp


Image 1.webp
That airstream is incredible. Wasn’t actually planning on a trailer at all, it’s just one of those “happened upon an amazing deal” things.
My thoughts at this point are that between the cybertent and that thing , I’ll have the ability to sleep my whole family off the ground and without unloading anything., nice for weather, wildlife or any other reason.
The idea would be that I can fold up quickly and hit the road in the morning.
im also going to cover it in cigs panels and even carry my delta pro-3 in there so maybe I can charge the truck a little while boondocking. Probably a couple of my 400w suitcase panels or 600w solar blankets too to set up on the ground by the trailer.
Plus, my father in law really wanted it and he’s a good old retired dude. He wouldn’t have bought it if I didn’t go for half. Always nice when they agree to any kind of help. I also think he’ll make good use of it fishing.
 
Last edited:
 
Top