• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Portable air compressor rec for truck/home?

cvalue13

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2022
Threads
56
Messages
5,903
Reaction score
2,347
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I know the CT should have onboard air, but until then:

Wondering if folks have a rec for a portable air compressor I can keep in the current truck, for airing anything from the truck’s tires to pool inflatables

I’ve spent some time “researching” online, but feel like I’ve lost the ability to discern real vs sham/empty “reviews”
 

BillyGee

Well-known member
First Name
Bill
Joined
Jan 22, 2020
Threads
9
Messages
658
Reaction score
556
Location
Northern California
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I use a Ryobi one with the one+ battery and a spare charger in the trunk well. Every now and then home Depot runs a sale on them and it works great for my model Y.
 

Paradox

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 16, 2021
Threads
6
Messages
207
Reaction score
63
Location
??
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
I’ve had a Ryobi One+ tire inflator as well for quite a few years now, never failed me. It doesn’t do inflatables but this ‘package deal’ has both the tire inflator and a high volume inflator for only $50, if you’re already in the One+ ecosystem and have a battery/batteries.

Editing just to add should you have a Direct Tools Outlet near you, I often see them selling the tire inflator as factory blemished but still new for under $20. They probably have the high volume inflator and the unit BillyGee mentioned for a very good price blemished as well. All my Ryobi stuff I got from them and honestly, I’ve never seen a blemish on anything nor had to return anything due to issues. I get 10% off at Home Depot and even with that, Direct tools prices are tough to beat when they have a good sale going on.
 
Last edited:

Cyberman

Well-known member
First Name
Adam
Joined
Apr 7, 2020
Threads
31
Messages
2,099
Reaction score
764
Location
San Diego
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
As a contractor, I use compressors all the time. A really good one (the one I keep on my flatbed for everyday use) is a Rigid 4.5 gallon with "Strongstart". I've used all kinds of compressors before it, from a Honda-powered 5HP (a BIG mutha), to the Harbor Freight piece-o-shit (which would only work if you plugged it straight into the outlet, no extension cords, and eventually, like most HF tools, crapped out in the middle of a job). The Strongstart feature, they said, works well even in low power situations. I was skeptical, but it has been excellent in any power condition. At $350 a pop, I wouldn't accuse it of being cheap, but it's been great for the last 3-4 yrs.
 

Bill906

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Threads
4
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
960
Location
Wisconsin
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I also use Ryobi One+ stuff and use the compressor/inflator. I've had it for over 8 years and still works great. First compressor I had where you could set the PSI and it would stop when it reached it. It isn't perfect as there's some hysteresis around the setting. But it gets you close.
 

slomo

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
124
Reaction score
28
Location
Chicago
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No need for a battery compressor with CT.

I like a major brand 120V pancake compressor for about $140. A compressor is needed more because to oil change tire pressure check with EV. I assume a non-battery compressor charges faster.
 
OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2022
Threads
56
Messages
5,903
Reaction score
2,347
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
 
Top