• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

So... About that winch....

Jhodgesatmb

Well-known member
First Name
Jack
Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Threads
82
Messages
5,201
Reaction score
1,986
Location
San Francisco Bay area
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck FS AWD, Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I asked them. Private email. This was made specifically for CT. All their lights and such are either going to have built in converters or run at a native 48v because the only vehicle this line was designed for was the CT/CB. If you want more specifics you can email them and ask but they aren’t giving out too many details yet.
Why would anyone order this winch without specifics. Are they going to run a dedicated wire to the battery? That sounds scary. Are they going to have a dedicated battery? That sounds kind of lame. Lots of people here are interested in a winch and though I appreciate your post I think that ‘they’ should provide more detail about the winch, its mounting, its power requirements and how they will achieve them, and its specs.
 

agordon117

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
667
Reaction score
837
Location
Ohio
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Why would anyone order this winch without specifics. Are they going to run a dedicated wire to the battery? That sounds scary. Are they going to have a dedicated battery? That sounds kind of lame. Lots of people here are interested in a winch and though I appreciate your post I think that ‘they’ should provide more detail about the winch, its mounting, its power requirements and how they will achieve them, and its specs.
Dedicated wire to the battery is normal. But I don't think it matters what kind of lugs are on that 48V pack, I sincerely doubt it can push 5.6kW
 
OP
OP
msdg137

msdg137

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 23, 2021
Threads
4
Messages
45
Reaction score
19
Location
NY
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
Dedicated wire to the battery is normal. But I don't think it matters what kind of lugs are on that 48V pack, I sincerely doubt it can push 5.6kW
I agree. Without a 12v battery bank being charged via converter there is no optimal solution for a winch right now. The perk of 12v systems was the ability to up your battery size for reserve power. A prius for instance sees performance gains from larger 12v batteries due to them being able to run accessories longer with the ICE off. The 48v limits the ability to expand the power reserves.
 

CyberGus

Well-known member
First Name
Gus
Joined
May 22, 2021
Threads
76
Messages
8,529
Reaction score
10,726
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
1981 DeLorean, 2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
IT Specialist
Country flag

agordon117

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
667
Reaction score
837
Location
Ohio
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
"Unlike all the other Tesla passenger EVs, the Cybertruck has a 48V low-voltage system instead of a traditional 12V one, and the battery is rated at just 4 Ah."

https://insideevs.com/news/704749/tesla-cybertruck-low-voltage-battery-48v-4ah/
4Ah means it's one set of ~12-13 cells in series for 48V. Even if we assume they are the absolute highest discharge rate of 30A 45A (which are the most extreme, unprotected cells), that's not close to the needed 117A.

Good find btw


Edited to correct the max discharge for the most extreme, unprotected 2170 cells. Numbers from 18650s were used initially.
 
Last edited:

Timelord

Active member
Joined
Apr 18, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
36
Reaction score
40
Location
North America
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Country flag
Good find indeed. So if you want a winch, you're adding a 12v battery and charger off the 48v system. Hacky. 48v winch buys you nothing given lack of power capacity available.
 

TesLatino

Member
First Name
Rafael
Joined
Feb 20, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
10
Reaction score
12
Location
Florida
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Model 3 P, Model Y LR, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
This is what I plan to do to install a hitch or a regular 12v lightbar to my Cybertruck. A step down from 48 to 12. Unless someone points out if this Amazon one is a bad idea, I will probably buy it soon. https://amzn.to/3QX1WcL

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen So... About that winch.... 48-12-stepdown
 

tmeyer3

Well-known member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Jun 27, 2021
Threads
26
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
1,314
Location
CA
Website
www.meyerwine.com
Vehicles
Model 3, '73 GMC truck, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist, Vintner
Country flag
This is what I plan to do to install a hitch or a regular 12v lightbar to my Cybertruck. A step down from 48 to 12. Unless someone points out if this Amazon one is a bad idea, I will probably buy it soon. https://amzn.to/3QX1WcL

48-12-stepdown.png
I mean, the frunk is plenty large enough to house a 12v sub system like this. I might do this also
 

TesLatino

Member
First Name
Rafael
Joined
Feb 20, 2024
Threads
1
Messages
10
Reaction score
12
Location
Florida
Website
x.com
Vehicles
Model 3 P, Model Y LR, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
I mean, the frunk is plenty large enough to house a 12v sub system like this. I might do this also
That thing is tiny. Like 3" x 3" x 1.5". I would probably just wire it under the plastic frunk tub right by the mods wires.
 

Adrenalinwill

Banned
Well-known member
Banned
Joined
Dec 16, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
80
Reaction score
98
Location
Irvine
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Cybertruck, Founders Roadster 2
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Country flag
This thread is blowing my mind, thank you all for the enlightening comments. I’ve always thought the higher the voltage (ie 48V), the lower the current required. In the end, power, which is voltage X current would be similar for 12V and 48V systems. But guess not. Perhaps thinking outside the box and going with a 120/240V plug in winch that’s welded to mount to the hitch would be the best idea? Removable, until needed. Does this have an integrated AC-DC converter?

https://www.northerntool.com/produc...s-12-model-15000nh-6024003#hotbar-description
 

tmeyer3

Well-known member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Jun 27, 2021
Threads
26
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
1,314
Location
CA
Website
www.meyerwine.com
Vehicles
Model 3, '73 GMC truck, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist, Vintner
Country flag
That thing is tiny. Like 3" x 3" x 1.5". I would probably just wire it under the plastic frunk tub right by the mods wires.
I meant your battery. A winch will pull a lot of current at load, you need a good marine or car battery.
 

tmeyer3

Well-known member
First Name
Trevor
Joined
Jun 27, 2021
Threads
26
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
1,314
Location
CA
Website
www.meyerwine.com
Vehicles
Model 3, '73 GMC truck, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist, Vintner
Country flag
This thread is blowing my mind, thank you all for the enlightening comments. I’ve always thought the higher the voltage (ie 48V), the lower the current required. In the end, power, which is voltage X current would be similar for 12V and 48V systems. But guess not. Perhaps thinking outside the box and going with a 120/240V plug in winch that’s welded to mount to the hitch would be the best idea? Removable, until needed. Does this have an integrated AC-DC converter?

https://www.northerntool.com/produc...s-12-model-15000nh-6024003#hotbar-description
That's a 12v DC winch. Most ac winches that I know are overhead hoist style things. But that is certainly outside of the box!
 

Adrenalinwill

Banned
Well-known member
Banned
Joined
Dec 16, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
80
Reaction score
98
Location
Irvine
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Cybertruck, Founders Roadster 2
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Country flag
You are correct, this is a crane drum winch….title shows 115V/230V max. Crazy amps though.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen So... About that winch.... IMG_4850
 
 
Top