• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

How about a grill on the hitch?

Luke42

Well-known member
First Name
Luke
Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Threads
0
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
922
Location
Illinois, USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, GMC Sierra Hybrid 3HB (2-Mode)
Country flag
Interesting thing came across the local startups list: https://hitchfire.com/

I'm not sure how practical it is, but it gives a new meaning to tailgate party. Kinda like the design Tesla showed, but tons simpler.

-Crissa
These things were on sale at my local truck accessories store a decade ago.

The marketing implied that it was for college football tailgating crowd.

I'm not a member of that crowd (I don't enjoy sports), but I can see why they could he a good fit for that application. But it would really depend on how you set up your tailgate party.

I personally wouldn't invest in a startup that is marketing to tailgaters. It's a mature market and it's already being served. A quick glance at the website doesn't suggest they're doing anything different than the existing hitch-mounted truck-accessory companies who already fully serve this market. But maybe I missed something.
 
Last edited:

DarinCT

Well-known member
First Name
Darin
Joined
Dec 16, 2020
Threads
8
Messages
318
Reaction score
231
Location
California
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Like Luke42 said, this idea had been around for a long time but... I've never seen such a clean execution. For me, there are a lot of I've-never-been around trucks but I want to do then with a CyberTruck. Maybe @Luke42 you'll become a BBQ at the park kind of person. I know I'd much rather use this then the state park BBQs which are garbage.

Head to the beach or park early in the morning, play some sports then have some bacon and eggs fresh off the grill, oh yeah!
 

Luke42

Well-known member
First Name
Luke
Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Threads
0
Messages
1,143
Reaction score
922
Location
Illinois, USA
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, GMC Sierra Hybrid 3HB (2-Mode)
Country flag
Like Luke42 said, this idea had been around for a long time but... I've never seen such a clean execution. For me, there are a lot of I've-never-been around trucks but I want to do then with a CyberTruck. Maybe @Luke42 you'll become a BBQ at the park kind of person. I know I'd much rather use this then the state park BBQs which are garbage.

Head to the beach or park early in the morning, play some sports then have some bacon and eggs fresh off the grill, oh yeah!
I carry a propane griddle in my travel-trailer for those purposes, and I can move it into the truck if I need to. This setup works better for my purposes than a hitch-mounted grill.

A hotplate powered off of the truck's inverter would be more my style, though. Simple, easy, and lives in a weatherproof box that I can set up in a few minutes. I'd like to cook freshly caught panfish in butter.

There are a lot of solutions to the problem of cooking outdoors, and the hitch-mounted grills come with some real tradeoffs. One of the tradeoffs is that you can't use the hitch to haul a travel trailer.

Hitch-mounted grills are great for some niche applications. I'm just reluctant to apply the "startup" term to them, since they're a new entrant competing for market share in a mature niche market. I'd characterize that as a small business. I do hope Hitch Fire sells a hitch-mounted grill to everyone who wants one!
 

Ogre

Well-known member
First Name
Dennis
Joined
Jul 3, 2021
Threads
163
Messages
9,549
Reaction score
7,338
Location
Ogregon
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Filed under interesting, but not for me.

Things that are mounted on the hitch:
  • Cause drag which impacts range.
  • Makes it more difficult to get into the vault.
  • Prevents me from using the hitch receiver for other things.
  • Interfere with the reversing camera and sensors
One of my goals with the truck is to minimize the amount of time I have to deal with hitch mounted stuff for my bikes. Not a lot of chance I'm going to replace it with something else which introduces the same issues!

Also, for way less than $550 you can buy a really nice grill with legs which will tuck into the under-vault storage and is completely invisible until you need it.

One other thing. While it's super convenient to move it while it's mounted on the hitch, the rotating arm is going to more than double the weight and make it much bulkier and harder to store when you aren't using it.
 

Quicksilver

Well-known member
First Name
Charles
Joined
Feb 24, 2020
Threads
10
Messages
519
Reaction score
283
Location
Alabama
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
When I was in welding school back in the early 80's we had some welders from the oilfields that had came in to learn some specialty welding techniques.
The had some amazing mobile welding rigs with built in grills and places to store coolers and other gear.
One guy had front and rear bumpers made of 6 inch pipe. The rear bumper was an air tank and the front one held a mix of water and anti-freeze.
They say that necessity is the mother of invention.
 

SAVFPV

Well-known member
First Name
Alex
Joined
May 19, 2021
Threads
2
Messages
120
Reaction score
67
Location
Savannah, GA.
Vehicles
FS AWD Cybertruck in Tactical Grey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If users want to save time and effort with a hitch mount grill, how many users do you think will leave the propane tank in place when driving?

5920BAE3-8F26-4949-979A-D8788883C9CA.jpeg
Also how smoky / bad smelling / greasy will the interior of your car (and especially the tailgate in this photos case) be after grilling???
 

rr6013

Well-known member
First Name
Rex
Joined
Apr 22, 2020
Threads
49
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
561
Location
Coronado Bay Panama
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
LOL Expecting Crissa hawking the latest Tesla S.S. CT appliance accessory
Tesla Roadster 2nd gen How about a grill on the hitch? E8E88225-E2C6-40B2-A879-FED86B8F72D5

Kinda disappointed with the hibachi idea. This S.S. one above at least folds down to fit in back of pickup big enough for a Texas Tailgater
 

charlotte.kellogg

New member
First Name
charlotte
Joined
May 30, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
London
Vehicles
Just sold my Tesla 3
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
It's intriguing that you mentioned a comparison to Tesla's design, suggesting that the hitch grill may incorporate some innovative elements. Tesla's approach to design has been synonymous with pushing boundaries and reimagining traditional concepts, which could potentially inspire the development of an innovative hitch grill.
In terms of functionality, a Tesla-inspired hitch grill might incorporate advanced technological features. For instance, it could have built-in sensors to monitor temperature and cooking progress, ensuring optimal cooking results. It could also integrate smart connectivity, allowing users to control and monitor the grill remotely through a mobile app. This would enable convenient temperature adjustments, cooking presets, and even recipe suggestions tailored to individual preferences. These features are especially convenient when cooking fish, veggies, homemade Alfredo sauce or other meals that need temperature adjustments.
 
Last edited:
 
Top