• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

AM FM radio in Cybertruck?

Crissa

Well-known member
First Name
Crissa
Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Threads
133
Messages
17,100
Reaction score
11,179
Location
Santa Cruz
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is a big issue for me: radio for Tesla is digital so it drops out if I drive through a tunnel or some other network wasteland (which, sadly, is common near my home). If Tesla were to cache whatever I am listening to when the network feed is disrupted, and starts it back up when the feed is restored (and don’t tell me this can’t be done), I would be fine.
It can only cache so much, though, but yeah.

I sorta wish someone would take the time to map dead zones on routes so my app can know when to slip in a pre-recorded track or bulk up on the cache.

-Crissa
 

Jhodgesatmb

Well-known member
First Name
Jack
Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Threads
82
Messages
5,201
Reaction score
1,986
Location
San Francisco Bay area
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck FS AWD, Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Low power FM, HD, all are allowed to operate nationwide. Satellite is already licensed and could also be used.

AM just needs to be retired, instead of clung to. We have replacements, we should use them instead.

An AM signal uses a signal as wide as 10,000,000 satellite radio signals.

-Crissa
I do not think that we disagree except that you appear to be ok with jettisoning AM without an existing replacement, and I am not. SOLVE the problem; don’t hypothesize a solution. You are sounding like a researcher, and I say that with all due respect. What we need is a policy, a plan, and funding to see it through. Given Washington the way it is now I suspect that AM will vibe around a long time. The big question is whether Washington will mandate auto makers to support AM. That would be an easy out for politicians and really sad. SNAFU :-(
 

Jhodgesatmb

Well-known member
First Name
Jack
Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Threads
82
Messages
5,201
Reaction score
1,986
Location
San Francisco Bay area
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck FS AWD, Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It can only cache so much, though, but yeah.

I sorta wish someone would take the time to map dead zones on routes so my app can know when to slip in a pre-recorded track or bulk up on the cache.

-Crissa
That would certainly make it a lot easier.
 

Musselmanc

Member
First Name
Christian
Joined
Nov 29, 2022
Threads
2
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
Location
Los Alamos
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
LANL
Country flag
Woah. The back screen can’t play movies while in motion? My kids are not going to be happy on road trips ?
Really?? That was one my main selling points… listen to an awesome movie on the road with awesome sound, and the kids watching in the back… rules suck!
 

wh1t3rbb1t

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 3, 2024
Threads
9
Messages
121
Reaction score
114
Location
San Diego
Vehicles
Cybertruck Founders Edition
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Country flag
Really?? That was one my main selling points… listen to an awesome movie on the road with awesome sound, and the kids watching in the back… rules suck!
And I don’t see how it breaks any rules. Our Pacifica plays movies in the back just fine. I hope the original quote was mistaken…
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
But I'm not. AM needs to go, and those services need to be assigned new bandwidth.
I didn't know anyone tuned into AM radio anymore. I could never handle the sound quality, even as a child. In all my travels I've seen AM frequencies listed for emergency info, I tuned into them a couple of times just out of curiosity, but there was never anything important being broadcast, just dumb pre-recorded messages blathering on about nothing interesting, and the sound quality still hurt my ears. I can listen to FM, if the reception is good. But I generally don't.

I would assume people would use their phones if they needed critical information.

I think the last time I ever listened to AM, beyond a minute or two to survey the airwaves, was about 1978.
 

Elon is Rocket Man

Well-known member
First Name
Dale
Joined
Oct 6, 2020
Threads
0
Messages
77
Reaction score
1
Location
So. California
Vehicles
Cybertruck Fiat 500e electric
Occupation
theoretical physicists .
Country flag
Yes, No, Yes.

The Cybertruck will provide streaming for a number of sources. It does have radio, but no AM, just FM. Many AM stations may be available via one of the streaming services.
While the vehicle is not in motion and either connectivity service or Wi-Fi, you can easily play movies from YouTube, Netflix or more.
And it has a web browser.

And for some, the most important of all, Caraoke!
Elon said the Cybertruck is ready for Nuclear War, post Nuclear War destruction Announcement's will come via the United States Civil Defense Broadcast only over AM Radio, This system is still in place. So why did Elon omit the am radio.?

United States Civil Defense is still active, Logo below. A true post apocalyptic truck would have AM Radio.
Tesla Roadster 2nd gen AM FM radio in Cybertruck? Conelrad_logo.svg
 

Woodrick

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
3,540
Reaction score
2,231
Location
Gainesville Ga
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Sometimes AM is the only signal that is important. Emergency road conditions for one. Some places are remote or small and need the signal strength of AM. For my money it could go away but there are powerful voices asking for it to stay.
Powerful voices are indeed wanting it to stay. And they are using highway warning systems as a reason.

Only thing is that highway warning systems would be better if FM, but I suspect that there are rules keeping them from going there because, it was assumed that not all cars had FM radios. i.e. rules created before 1970s.
 

Woodrick

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
3,540
Reaction score
2,231
Location
Gainesville Ga
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Woah. The back screen can’t play movies while in motion? My kids are not going to be happy on road trips ?
Not sure about that.
I was mainly referencing the front screen. There are laws that prohibit the driver from seeing screens that are in motion.
 

CyberGus

Well-known member
First Name
Gus
Joined
May 22, 2021
Threads
76
Messages
8,529
Reaction score
10,726
Location
Austin, TX
Vehicles
1981 DeLorean, 2024 Cybertruck
Occupation
IT Specialist
Country flag
Powerful voices are indeed wanting it to stay. And they are using highway warning systems as a reason.

Only thing is that highway warning systems would be better if FM, but I suspect that there are rules keeping them from going there because, it was assumed that not all cars had FM radios. i.e. rules created before 1970s.
"FM, no static at all." - Steely D.
 

Woodrick

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
3,540
Reaction score
2,231
Location
Gainesville Ga
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Low power FM, HD, all are allowed to operate nationwide. Satellite is already licensed and could also be used.

AM just needs to be retired, instead of clung to. We have replacements, we should use them instead.

An AM signal uses a signal as wide as 10,000,000 satellite radio signals.

-Crissa
Yea, but the 10 kHz wide AM channel is small compared to the 150 kHz FM channel.
 

Woodrick

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
3,540
Reaction score
2,231
Location
Gainesville Ga
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
This is a big issue for me: radio for Tesla is digital so it drops out if I drive through a tunnel or some other network wasteland (which, sadly, is common near my home). If Tesla were to cache whatever I am listening to when the network feed is disrupted, and starts it back up when the feed is restored (and don’t tell me this can’t be done), I would be fine.
Got to get your terms correct.

Tesla supports using the US FM Radio channels.

Streaming is NOT Radio.

Tesla uses the cellular system for it's streaming services.

While early Tesla supported satellite radio, current ones do not.

On some feeds, Tesla does support caching. Regrettably, a lot of caching rules are dictated by legal agreements. The "free" services are mostly like to have issues, since caching can require higher license fees.
 

REM

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2023
Threads
10
Messages
2,857
Reaction score
2,662
Location
NC
Vehicles
2020 Model 3 Standard Range++ & Diet Cybertruck, Dual Motor
Occupation
Professional Retard
Country flag
The lack of AM radio has been my Tesla gripe for 5 years now. But yes, FM radio works fine most of the time.
I'm just as upset that they didn't have a phonograph built into the center console :confused:
 
 
Top