• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Staggered Tires? Will it work?

mramosc

New member
First Name
Marcelo
Joined
Dec 27, 2019
Threads
1
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
San Jose, CA
Vehicles
2026 AWD CT, 2022 MX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would like to go with staggered tires (bigger tires at the back wheels) Why, simply because I like the looks of it, that's all.
But I wonder if it will cause issues with for example traction control, by getting confused because the front wheels will spin faster than the rear wheels. I also wonder how does the truck calculate its speed, from the front or rear tires?
Anybody has any insight? Thanks!
 

ABILISK

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 6, 2024
Threads
22
Messages
1,746
Reaction score
1,484
Location
DFW
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
ā€˜24 Beast
Country flag
I think you’ll be the pioneer of researching that one. Haven’t ever heard of anyone doing it on CT. Good luck! I won’t be partaking in such a thing, but would love to see pics if you do it.
 

Effonefiddy Lightning

Well-known member
First Name
Alfred
Joined
Oct 24, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
145
Reaction score
75
Location
California
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When the truck starts seeing the front wheels spinning faster than the rears it going to reduce power thinking your front tires are slipping and could possibly throw codes.
 

hemiarch

Well-known member
First Name
Ace
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Threads
100
Messages
6,512
Reaction score
4,752
Location
Arizona
Vehicles
2024 foundation AWD, 2024 model x
Occupation
Trauma Surgeon
Country flag
When the truck starts seeing the front wheels spinning faster than the rears it going to reduce power thinking your front tires are slipping and could possibly throw codes.
Why would it do that for different width tires? I’m a little daft sometimes.
 

Korben Dallas

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
124
Reaction score
71
Location
Olympic Mountains
Vehicles
Tesla MYP & FS Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would like to go with staggered tires (bigger tires at the back wheels) Why, simply because I like the looks of it, that's all.
But I wonder if it will cause issues with for example traction control, by getting confused because the front wheels will spin faster than the rear wheels. I also wonder how does the truck calculate its speed, from the front or rear tires?
Anybody has any insight? Thanks!
Per Google’s AI Overview

"Yes, installing staggered tires (different sizes front and rear) on an all-wheel-drive vehicle like the
Tesla Cybertruck will likely cause problems, primarily with tire wear, potentially affecting the AWD system, and voiding the tire warranty.
The Cybertruck is designed from the factory with a "square" tire setup, meaning all four wheels and tires are the same size (e.g., 285/65R20). This setup allows for proper tire rotation, which is crucial for even wear and maximizing tire lifespan on a heavy, high-torque AWD EV. "

Personally & as everyone already knows, these are very fickle, sensitive, & complex machines, so why would you want to risk causing potentially warranty voiding issues. It’s just worth it to me.
 

MountainPassPerformance

Well-known member
Site Sponsor
First Name
Sasha
Joined
Dec 21, 2023
Threads
7
Messages
46
Reaction score
114
Location
Canada
Vehicles
Founder's Edition Cybertruck Dual Motor
Country flag
You will have TCS and VSC intervention/warnings if you have different overall diameters between the front and rear tires. It's totally fine to run staggered tire widths, wheel widths and even wheel diameters, but you need to keep the OD the same so the truck doesn't see different wheel speeds.
 
 
Top