• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Rust in center of wheel hub?

Crissa

Well-known member
First Name
Crissa
Joined
Jul 8, 2020
Threads
133
Messages
17,100
Reaction score
11,179
Location
Santa Cruz
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And some want to broaden terms to make rust sound appealing…
Dude. Rust is patina. Rust that's non-harmful is non-harmful.

I don't know why you're so hung up on that. Some metals are designed to rust. Because they're doing other more important things.

Just cover it up and stop thinking about it.

-Crissa
 

Ward L

Well-known member
First Name
Ward
Joined
Dec 17, 2023
Threads
4
Messages
218
Reaction score
166
Location
Camarillo, CA
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
This rust is perfectly normal and expected. You are wasting your time worrying about it. Every car ever made eventually has this same rust. It is normally covered by a hub cap, and you don't see it. I'm going to stop wasting my time typing about it....
 

The Tesla Guy

Well-known member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Mar 15, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
247
Reaction score
141
Location
Washington
Website
youtubeteslaguy.com
Vehicles
23MS Plaid, 23MY, LR,Order-FoundationCyberTruck DM
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

The Tesla Guy

Well-known member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Mar 15, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
247
Reaction score
141
Location
Washington
Website
youtubeteslaguy.com
Vehicles
23MS Plaid, 23MY, LR,Order-FoundationCyberTruck DM
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

GatorCyber

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 14, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
425
Reaction score
246
Location
Florida
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck FS; 2023 Model X (w/FSD)
Occupation
Real Estate Developer
Country flag
My 2018 Model 3 always had rust there too. It didn't cause any issues
 

TeslaFan92

New member
First Name
Jeff
Joined
Mar 24, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Location
Michigan
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Just printed some covers for it, problem solved! :). 75 cents of plastic each

IMG_4251.jpg
Those look awesome! Do you have a file of this program you could share? I don't even have a Vin yet but I want to be ready when I actually get my CT.
 

The Tesla Guy

Well-known member
First Name
Daniel
Joined
Mar 15, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
247
Reaction score
141
Location
Washington
Website
youtubeteslaguy.com
Vehicles
23MS Plaid, 23MY, LR,Order-FoundationCyberTruck DM
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Last edited:

getsometom

Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 31, 2024
Threads
56
Messages
1,276
Reaction score
1,089
Location
Texas
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag

DMC-81

Well-known member
First Name
Dana
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Threads
7
Messages
423
Reaction score
438
Location
Florida
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
For the OCD types like myself I agree with removing the rust and applying grease.
For example, I recently did a brake job on my Camaro. Although the wheel
will cover the hub, I removed the rust, cleaned and greased it before installing the wheel:
Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Rust in center of wheel hub? 27570


I used a red synthetic grease:

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Rust in center of wheel hub? 27547


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Rust in center of wheel hub? 27545


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Rust in center of wheel hub? 26553


I expect I’ll do a similar hub remediation on my CT after delivery.
 
 
Top