• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

PowerShare Install Process & Assessment

Cougs

Well-known member
First Name
JB
Joined
Dec 17, 2019
Threads
3
Messages
161
Reaction score
55
Location
West Coast
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Must be Tesla-approved / scheduled installer is my understanding as Tesla will only ship the equipment directly to them.
Thanks, Jpend
 

Cougs

Well-known member
First Name
JB
Joined
Dec 17, 2019
Threads
3
Messages
161
Reaction score
55
Location
West Coast
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I ordered a Cyberbeast on 3/4/24 and today I got the email survey regarding powershare installation. My main panel supports up to 200 Amps, is that good? I do not have empty slot in the panel??
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
I ordered a Cyberbeast on 3/4/24 and today I got the email survey regarding powershare installation. My main panel supports up to 200 Amps, is that good? I do not have empty slot in the panel??
200-amp panels have been the residential "norm" for some time. Whether it's "good" or not depends upon the power requirements of your home. It's probably more than you need unless you have unusually high requirements.

A good electrician can generally free up some extra slots without too much difficulty.
 

rrolsbe

Active member
First Name
Ron
Joined
Aug 10, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
36
Reaction score
14
Location
Reno, NV
Vehicles
2023 Model 3 RWD
Country flag
My experience today's site visit was the same. V3 outside next to the meter, main goes into there, then to the panel. Panel to current 14-50, needs a new 75 foot line that supports 70amps. Half day job for 1 guy IMO, $3200 will not be happening if that's the case.
Just curious, I thought the max output via the truck's NAC port was around 11.2kW? That would require wiring to handle approx 48A continuous which would be a 60A circuit?
 

CyberNickOH

Well-known member
First Name
Nick
Joined
Jan 9, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
212
Reaction score
160
Location
Powell, OH
Vehicles
2024 Tesla CT AWD FS
Country flag
The wire I put in, 6g, from Home Depot, has 55amp max. The more commercial 6g wire can handle 70amp, 90 degrees C.
 

Cybergirl

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2020
Threads
31
Messages
650
Reaction score
1,261
Location
Illinois and Arizona
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
Does anyone know if one can exchange the Powershare offer for 6 months of Supercharging? And if so, can I choose when to begin that 6 month period?

Where I live, the power grid is very reliable, and when there is an outage, it's generally short (less than an hour). I also have a 24 hour battery backup system with solar (not Tesla). Lastly, I live in Arizona over the winter, so the CT will not be available as a battery source for those months. It's hard to justify spending another $3K to install a Powershare system that might never be used.
 

Cougs

Well-known member
First Name
JB
Joined
Dec 17, 2019
Threads
3
Messages
161
Reaction score
55
Location
West Coast
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
If you are selling your home sometime then the powershare will increase your home value especially by buyers who owns EV or it sells faster because of power share already installed. If I am deciding between 2 homes one with power share and the other without and everything else is about equal then I would buy the home with a powershare installed. What about using the CT during peak hours and charging it during low power cost.
 

hridge2020

Well-known member
First Name
Henry
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Threads
169
Messages
886
Reaction score
603
Location
Central Coast CA
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your detail. I have a cyberbeast arriving on Friday so I prefer to use the Value that I’ve already paid for with the foundation series purchase. I have Tesla solar and two power walls now so it’s probably not too difficult to do at this home. I also have a second home, which would actually benefit much more from power share as it’s up in Mammoth Lakes California where storms are pretty severe and we lose power one to two times per year. Not sure if there is a contact related to the power share at Tesla that can help answer the second home questions.

I got this from an installer- gave them my info
waiting for them to give me a quote and talk to me..
What got me, is the complimentary equipment statement.
Installer came out to do a walkthrough for a quote today and I learned a few things. Where I thought from what I had seen that the v3 gateway would likely be by the service entrance, instead for those without PowerWalls, they try to put it by the panel. They then feed the gateway from the main service line and then to the panel from the gateway for the backup and to the universal charger, no room in the main panel needed. He said the universal charger is the only one that will allow the back feed from the truck. He mentioned, at least in my case, the only variable would be one of the larger AC condenser units pull on startup which may need to be bypassed on backup, but that otherwise the truck should easily be able to power the house.

When the power goes out, the communication from the gateway to the truck checks if it is plugged in and awake. If not, it tells the truck that power is needed and sets the system for backup. Assuming this happens fairly quickly.

From a process standpoint, once the quote is signed, they will let Tesla know and that allows them to ship the equipment to the installer where it will be held. Once a VIN is assigned and a delivery date is scheduled, the installer will try to set the install for the day after delivery unless they see a lot of deliveries at once and then they may try to do it prior. From there, once the truck is delivered, they need to test the PowerShare system and charging.

Overall fairly simple. Quote was $3250 and we picked a spot in the garage not too far from the panel in the basement that will reach out to the driveway where the truck will be at least initially.

Got an email from Tesla,
My question is: Its stating the Powershare Home Backup Hardware is "Free"

Thought we buyers bought the equipment already in the Foundation/Beast Package deal.

Also states software to use this feature not available till June.


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen PowerShare Install Process & Assessment Tesla Powershare reminder

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen PowerShare Install Process & Assessment Foundation series paid
 

Obie_fl

Well-known member
First Name
Tom
Joined
Mar 12, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
170
Reaction score
126
Location
Florida
Vehicles
2018 Model S, 2024 Model Y, Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
Haven't received my Powershare survey yet but I'm wondering what they ask and more importantly what would prevent installation? I need to get the right answers lined up ;). I think I'm OK own the house, garage attached, 200amp service etc. My biggest worry is getting the line from the gateway to the charger as my garage is on the other side of the house, although there is a subpanel in the garage.
 

Cougs

Well-known member
First Name
JB
Joined
Dec 17, 2019
Threads
3
Messages
161
Reaction score
55
Location
West Coast
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I received my power share survey and today I got the approval of the installation. They will connect me with the installer.
I live in the country between two big canyons looking at a good size river. Unfortunately I live on hills (canyon hills) not enough room to turn around nor easily park so make a decision where to install the wall connector. I decided to install two wall connectors 1. One connector in the shop where the main panel is located but difficult to drive the truck inside 2. Install a wall connector on the side of the house where it is easier to park.
I do not know where I connect the cybertruck to the power share, is it via universal wall connector right?
Question: Is it possible to install two wall connectors and still have one where I can use the power share and a second one just for charging the cybertruck.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen PowerShare Install Process & Assessment 20201108_100248
 
Last edited:

jackychu

Well-known member
First Name
Jacky
Joined
Mar 18, 2024
Threads
24
Messages
107
Reaction score
263
Location
San Jose, CA
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model Y
Country flag
When do you get survey? Before delivery or after?
 

Carlos Thomas

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 4, 2020
Threads
28
Messages
394
Reaction score
690
Location
San Antonio
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I got this email from my installer. They installed everything two weeks ago, but did not connect the backup switch that goes behind the meter. The email seems a little odd as to why they need to access everything again. Take a look at what they emailed:

“Good afternoon,

I wanted to reach out and see if I would be able to quickly stop by your home tomorrow, 3/22/24, to document and update the software on your Powershare installation. We will only need access to the outdoor main electrical panel, Tesla Gateway, and Tesla Wall Connector.

This will allow Tesla to automatically push updates for the Powershare system as they become available.

If you are available tomorrow, do not hesitate to reach out!”
 
 
Top