• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Cybertruck hits 500kW charging speed with just unveiled V4 Cabinet!

carsly

Well-known member
First Name
Vin
Joined
Dec 13, 2023
Threads
68
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1,070
Location
Princeton, NJ
Vehicles
LR Defender, CT AWD
Country flag
Are you referring to the Semi delivery event where they said new Superchargers would get the emersion liquid cooled charge cable architecture for use with Cybertruck? They weren't saying it would get 1MW charging.
Around minute 27:
I'll have to rewatch, going of my aging memory. Thanks for digging it up.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cyb...ajor Cybertruck,density,” explained Elon Musk.

Was going off press captures that Cybertruck would be able to use the Semi's megachargers, I don't think those are the same as Superchargers.
 

carsly

Well-known member
First Name
Vin
Joined
Dec 13, 2023
Threads
68
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1,070
Location
Princeton, NJ
Vehicles
LR Defender, CT AWD
Country flag
Like EVs, it depends on the tank size and the pump capacity.

Haven't you been at a pump that pumps very slow and it seems like forever to fill?
i worked for a trailer company and the owner had a combination of tanks that held 150 gallons and took forever to fill.

Do you know how many GPM your station's pump ran at?
And yes, most cars had an instrument that told you what percentage that the tank at (0, 1/4, /2, 3/4, full)
But the time to fill a tank isn't generally considered by ICE drivers, everyone seems to think that it only takes a minute or two (in reality, often a LOT longer).

So what should the "fill rate" measurement be? Do you think most drivers known how many miles are in a kWh? Or even how many kWh their vehicles hold?
Here's the thing though:

In dino-fuel land vehicle energy storage capacity is measured in gallons.

Fuel is dispensed in gallons.

It's up to the consumer to know their fuel efficiency to determine range, if that's important to them at the time they are dispensing.

In the EV world, I'd offer it should be the same (and largely is):

Energy storage capacity is measured in kwh.

Energy dispensed is measured in kwh.

Still up to the consumer to know their efficiency to determine range.

Why do we feel compelled to confuse a velocity metric (distance travelled over time) with an energy delivery metric? Frankly it's confounding.
 

mongo

Well-known member
Joined
May 27, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
3,489
Reaction score
3,010
Location
SE Michigan
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
I'll have to rewatch, going of my aging memory. Thanks for digging it up.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-semi-megacharger-compatibility/#:~:text=Tesla dropped a major Cybertruck,density,” explained Elon Musk.

Was going off press captures that Cybertruck would be able to use the Semi's megachargers, I don't think those are the same as Superchargers.
Yeah, people got confused by the placement of the Cybertruck tangent. They were alluding to V4 posts and higher charge rates, but not Semi & Cybertruck charging together.
At least, that's what I came away with.
 

PeterOT

Well-known member
First Name
Peter
Joined
Mar 5, 2024
Threads
5
Messages
72
Reaction score
50
Location
San Jose, CA
Vehicles
2019 Model S, 2023 Model Y, Cybertruck
Country flag
How many miles per minute do you get with an ICE vehicle? Anyone know?
During the 2013 Tesla battery swap event, Elon said it took approximately 5 minutes to fill up a BMW sedan. So I guess if that sedan could go around 300 miles per fill up, it would be filling up at approximately 60 miles per minute. He was demonstrating that he could swap out two Model S battery packs in that same time.
 

Woodrick

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
3,540
Reaction score
2,231
Location
Gainesville Ga
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Here's the thing though:

In dino-fuel land vehicle energy storage capacity is measured in gallons.

Fuel is dispensed in gallons.

It's up to the consumer to know their fuel efficiency to determine range, if that's important to them at the time they are dispensing.

In the EV world, I'd offer it should be the same (and largely is):

Energy storage capacity is measured in kwh.

Energy dispensed is measured in kwh.

Still up to the consumer to know their efficiency to determine range.

Why do we feel compelled to confuse a velocity metric (distance travelled over time) with an energy delivery metric? Frankly it's confounding.
Because the analogies and issues are different between the platforms?
Because even the units are defined differently. A gallon is a physical defined measurement, a kWh is a derivative of other measurements.

And gallons per minute was never used.

And Tesla really doesn't spec a "tank/battery size"
 

Woodrick

Well-known member
First Name
Ed
Joined
Dec 30, 2023
Threads
5
Messages
3,540
Reaction score
2,231
Location
Gainesville Ga
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
This is great! None by my house but I’m going around Atlanta soon and there are 2 V4s along the way, one (Helen) is only a couple weeks old, crossing my fingers it will be uncorked!
They weren't on the list.
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
I'm just curious how many of you road trip warriors have been hitting peak charging power above 250 kW? 300 kW?

I recently took another trip to Reno and was often hitting over 250 kW. Sure, it slows down quite a bit, especially above 50% SOC, but I'm more than happy to unplug at 50%-60% SOC because I don't really like driving much more than two hour stretches without a 10–15-minute break. Just getting out of the vehicle for 5 minutes and unfolding my tall body works wonders for how I feel at the end of a long drive. It's amazing how quickly even a 15-minute charge goes by if you get out of the vehicle to check something else out.

When I get off the Interstate and take the secondary routes I've found I can still cruise at 65-70 mph and the Superchargers are generally right on the route (no freeway on/off ramps). So I can just pull over, plug in for 10-15 minutes, and hit the road for another hour and a half or two. It's a superior way to travel, at least for me.

Would I welcome peak speeds up to 500 kW? Sure, but it's not going to make a big difference, it might shave a minute or two off each stop. Most of the time I need the whole 10-15 minutes for my rest break anyway. I end up over-charging, just because I'm not ready to go yet.
 

henchman24

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 19, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
287
Reaction score
334
Location
Wyoming
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I've only used one V4- with the 325kW unlock and it was more of curiosity test than anything else. I do use a 350kW CCS station (1000v capable) on a longer stretch I have routinely. It is one where I have to have a deeper charge (a ~5-75% sort of charge). In that instance, it is actually quite nice. Cuts a decent amount off (more than a V4- does by a minute or two due to some derating due to amperage somewhere in the chain). Becomes more of a ~28 minute charge rather than a ~34 minute charge. Which doesn't sound like a lot, but it does make a solid difference. It basically adds range like a Panasonic pack 3/Y does when are on a 1000v (touch slower, but not a huge difference)... and is about the right amount for a quick dog walk, use the bathroom, grab food and be back. Another 3-4 minutes off would be perfect for my use, and with the 500kW charging, that's probably 2-3 maybe a touch more. The curve tweaking might help the rest.

Now most of my stops are the 5-50% sort of stop. Which is like ~17-18 minutes on a 250kW and ~14-15 minutes on a 350kW. On a projected 500kW with no curve change other than extending up the curve, it would probably be down to ~12-13. Which that really starts making it quick... it is a minimum of 5-6 to even get my dog out and to pee. If I have to, by the time the dog is back in and I run in wherever, that's another 5-6. It will be super quick for how I travel. Now I don't think most people bring their dog everywhere (or maybe don't even have a dog). So that 10 minute area for a 5-50 is likely the sweet spot (for reference LG pack 3/Y does this in ~14 minutes, Panasonic pack 12.5 minutes... R1T large and max packs are 23-25 minutes). Probably won't happen with the CT, but the 500kW V4s will likely be pretty close.

In all, the 325-500kW is probably all that is 'needed' for a good experience the vast majority of the time. When towing, that's when this all changes. I tow less than 10 times a year for any significant distance. So not a big deal. If I towed a lot more, I simply wouldn't have an EV truck.
 
 
Top