• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Help! What to clean CT wheels (not aero covers)!!

Noblelr3

Well-known member
First Name
Noble
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
240
Reaction score
200
Location
Coto DeCaza
Vehicles
Model S & X
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Country flag
I’ve had my truck since March and I clean it regularly. I have the perfect DI Tank/foam set up. The only problem is I’ve tried so so many products and yet I cannot seem to get the brownish crap (I know what it is) off my wheels. What are you guys using. I’ve gone through just about every basic product at Auto Zone and O’Reiley!! It must be me because I never see threads on this.
 

Black306

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 18, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
512
Reaction score
449
Location
Sacramento
Vehicles
‘24 DM CT | ‘23 M3 RWD
Country flag

Electric Metal

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2024
Threads
32
Messages
219
Reaction score
321
Location
Philadelphia
Vehicles
Cyberbeast & Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
I’ve had my truck since March and I clean it regularly. I have the perfect DI Tank/foam set up. The only problem is I’ve tried so so many products and yet I cannot seem to get the brownish crap (I know what it is) off my wheels. What are you guys using. I’ve gone through just about every basic product at Auto Zone and O’Reiley!! It must be me because I never see threads on this.
I use either Spray Nine or Greased Lightning. Works good. Make sure the rims are NOT HOT!!!!!

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Help! What to clean CT wheels (not aero covers)!! IMG_1403


Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Help! What to clean CT wheels (not aero covers)!! IMG_1402
 

Art138

Well-known member
First Name
Art
Joined
May 25, 2023
Threads
11
Messages
847
Reaction score
520
Location
Weston,Florida
Vehicles
MYP,Ford GT & FS CYBERBEAST
Country flag
Windex with a microfiber cloth works on mine. A dab of paint thinner in areas that have a thick film. I also wipe off with a damp cloth at the end. Thinner can impact the paint.

Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Help! What to clean CT wheels (not aero covers)!! IMG_2043
 

mark555055c

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
568
Reaction score
796
Location
Buffalo, NY
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
I’ve had my truck since March and I clean it regularly. I have the perfect DI Tank/foam set up. The only problem is I’ve tried so so many products and yet I cannot seem to get the brownish crap (I know what it is) off my wheels. What are you guys using. I’ve gone through just about every basic product at Auto Zone and O’Reiley!! It must be me because I never see threads on this.
I did the following.

Removed and cleaned all wheels with p&s brake buster/wheel cleaner
https://a.co/d/1t0x99c

Ceramic coated each wheel with stoners ceramic coating. It's for trim but works great and makes future wheel cleaning much easier.
https://a.co/d/3378iqa
 
Last edited:
OP
OP

Noblelr3

Well-known member
First Name
Noble
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
240
Reaction score
200
Location
Coto DeCaza
Vehicles
Model S & X
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Country flag
When you say brown stuff, do you mean the oxidation spots or from brake dust?

You could potentially try an iron remover to see if that gets rid of it.
https://a.co/d/4ByRWhN
My understanding is that it’s not just typical brake dust. Because brakes are rarely used the pads build up road debris and mixed with the brake dust even when seldomly used it causes this coating. It’s just frustrating because I’ve not no problems like this with my other wheels!
 

mark555055c

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2020
Threads
1
Messages
568
Reaction score
796
Location
Buffalo, NY
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
My understanding is that it’s not just typical brake dust. Because brakes are rarely used the pads build up road debris and mixed with the brake dust even when seldomly used it causes this coating. It’s just frustrating because I’ve not no problems like this with my other wheels!
It's definitely typical brake dust and/or iron from the rotors. A good wheel cleaner like the one I mentioned above will take care of it.

While brakes may not be used as much, they are used regularly even with one pedal driving. There is also a system to scrub the brake discs regularly, especially in wet weather, which is to remove water from brake discs. So, brake dust and iron deposits will occur.
 

Gundo

Well-known member
First Name
Gundo
Joined
Aug 16, 2020
Threads
7
Messages
203
Reaction score
253
Location
Connecticut
Vehicles
Porsche C2S
Country flag
Be careful what you use - there's lots of super harsh chemicals out there that will strip finish off your wheels over time.

There is nothing better than Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner. I use it on the CT wheels, and it works wonders on the rear wheels especially.

Griots Wheel Cleaner

Followup with some Ceramic Spray and they'll stay clean longer.

Griots Ceramic 3 in 1
 

HaulingAss

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2020
Threads
25
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
6,740
Location
Western Washington, USA
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, 2010 F-150, 2018 Performance Model 3, 2024 Performance Model 3
Country flag
I just use a brush and a bucket of soapy water, the same brush and soapy water I just washed the truck with. Then I hose it off.

If I really cared, I would wax them once or twice per year, but it's a truck.
 

Outdoors

Well-known member
First Name
Outdoors
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Threads
7
Messages
1,243
Reaction score
1,227
Location
North West Montana
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C, Slate Res Hldr
I just use a brush and a bucket of soapy water, the same brush and soapy water I just washed the truck with. Then I hose it off.

If I really cared, I would wax them once or twice per year, but it's a truck.
Nice and old fashioned. Nothing works like a bucket of Dawn soap and a sponge. Doubt any other product could be cheaper, and I don't have to read an MSDS on the product.
 

JUSTICEQD

Well-known member
First Name
Benjamin
Joined
Oct 2, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
205
Reaction score
212
Location
Johns Creek, GA
Vehicles
Cybertruck Cyberbeast, Model Y
Occupation
Doer of IT stuff
Country flag
Check out of spec detailing youtube channel

Here’s How I Clean & Protect Every Surface On The Tesla Cybertruck!
 
OP
OP

Noblelr3

Well-known member
First Name
Noble
Joined
Dec 10, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
240
Reaction score
200
Location
Coto DeCaza
Vehicles
Model S & X
Occupation
Battalion Chief
Country flag
It's definitely typical brake dust and/or iron from the rotors. A good wheel cleaner like the one I mentioned above will take care of it.

While brakes may not be used as much, they are used regularly even with one pedal driving. There is also a system to scrub the brake discs regularly, especially in wet weather, which is to remove water from brake discs. So, brake dust and iron deposits will occur.
Perfect, thanks for this info!
 
 
Top