• Welcome to Tesla Roadster Forum! If you're joining us from Cybertruckownersclub.com, then you may already have an account here.

    If you were registered on the Cybertruck forum as of September 18, 2026 or earlier, then you can login here with the same username and password.

    If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Rear motor disabled alerts, anyone?

EctoSlymer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
240
Reaction score
119
Location
Oakland
Vehicles
CyberBeast
Country flag
I’ve had this rear motor disabled alert, pop-up on my vehicle about a half dozen times or more in recent weeks. Then it randomly goes away after I park and exit the vehicle and then re-enter it. So basically after doing a hard reset. . Error code DL-a008. Anyone else experiencing this?
 

JUSTICEQD

Well-known member
First Name
Benjamin
Joined
Oct 2, 2024
Threads
7
Messages
205
Reaction score
212
Location
Johns Creek, GA
Vehicles
Cybertruck Cyberbeast, Model Y
Occupation
Doer of IT stuff
Country flag
Checked with grok:

Yes, based on reports from other Cybertruck owners, this seems to be a somewhat common issue, particularly with early models. The "rear motor disabled" alert (often logged as error code DI_a008, which might be what you meant by DL-a008) typically limits the vehicle to around 65 mph and can stem from faults in the rear drive unit or inverter. In many cases, it resolves temporarily after a reset or reboot, but often recurs and requires a service visit for diagnosis—common fixes include replacing the rear inverter or the entire drive unit under warranty

Owners have shared similar experiences where the alert pops up intermittently during drives or at startup, then clears after parking and restarting the vehicle, much like you described. Some have linked it to software glitches that can sometimes be addressed remotely via updates, while others needed hardware repairs If it's happening frequently, scheduling a Tesla service appointment is recommended, as they've handled these quickly in reported cases, often providing loaners.
 

cybergriz

Well-known member
First Name
Karl
Joined
Apr 20, 2024
Threads
14
Messages
150
Reaction score
133
Location
Lancaster PA
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Yes I already have.
Good move, they should take care of you. There is a poll in the top posts about this. Many ppl have been stranded with this issue. Its a recall/warranty replacement. Good luck!
 
OP
OP

EctoSlymer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
240
Reaction score
119
Location
Oakland
Vehicles
CyberBeast
Country flag
Good move, they should take care of you. There is a poll in the top posts about this. Many ppl have been stranded with this issue. Its a recall/warranty replacement. Good luck!
That’s wild that it’s related to the motor shutting down. I didn’t realize people identifying they were having troubles with the inverter, were having their motors shut down the way I have been.
 
Last edited:

CyGo

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
24
Reaction score
26
Location
Washington
Vehicles
Classic Bronco's, LX 570, Model Y, Model 3, Beast
Country flag
I experienced this yesterday in my Cyberbeast, after making a pitstop on a road trip. Mine was:

Rear right motor disabled - OK to drive

Software version: 2025.45.7

Luckily it resolved itself randomly after a supercharge. Weird driving with one rear motor, the working motor was really easy to lose traction.

I made a service appointment, probably will be a waste of time, though.
 

confusioujedi

Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 22, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
19
Reaction score
4
Location
Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia area
Vehicles
Cyberbeast and Model S
Country flag
I have a 2024 CyberBeast I’ve had for about 14 months now and just got this message
“Rear left motor disabled - OK to drive
Vehicle power may be limited”.
Has anyone else had to deal with it?

I looked it up briefly and it has been said the heat and motor regulator of some sort has had to be replaced.
Just want to check in on the group and see how much of a pain of an issue is this going to be.
I was hoping to get this fixed the same time as the safety recall for the off-road light bar.
Any thoughts or issues that’s relatable?
Tesla Roadster 2nd gen Rear motor disabled alerts, anyone? IMG_2884
 
OP
OP

EctoSlymer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
240
Reaction score
119
Location
Oakland
Vehicles
CyberBeast
Country flag
I have a 2024 CyberBeast I’ve had for about 14 months now and just got this message
“Rear left motor disabled - OK to drive
Vehicle power may be limited”.
Has anyone else had to deal with it?

I looked it up briefly and it has been said the heat and motor regulator of some sort has had to be replaced.
Just want to check in on the group and see how much of a pain of an issue is this going to be.
I was hoping to get this fixed the same time as the safety recall for the off-road light bar.
Any thoughts or issues that’s relatable?
IMG_2884.webp
That’s the same warning I got. Why are all these people getting this at the same time? This seems like a recall issue…
 

GregimusPrime

Active member
First Name
Gregory
Joined
Feb 4, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
26
Reaction score
18
Location
Florida
Vehicles
Corvette, FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
I just got the alert last night. First time, right, and then left. Resolved like 2 mins later after I started charging.
 
OP
OP

EctoSlymer

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
16
Messages
240
Reaction score
119
Location
Oakland
Vehicles
CyberBeast
Country flag
I just got the alert last night. First time, right, and then left. Resolved like 2 mins later after I started charging.
But did it really “resolve”? Or is everyone’s slowly yet surely prematurely degrading??
 

GregimusPrime

Active member
First Name
Gregory
Joined
Feb 4, 2023
Threads
2
Messages
26
Reaction score
18
Location
Florida
Vehicles
Corvette, FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
Seems completely normal, either way still going to go to service center. Just in case.
 

jameslook

Active member
First Name
James
Joined
Nov 15, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
30
Reaction score
11
Location
Canada
Vehicles
2022 G63 2017 G550
Country flag
I just got it today. Disappeared after charging. 2025 Cyberbeast with 4773 km
45.7
 

sycamore22

Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
20
Reaction score
14
Location
central valley
Vehicles
ct fs
Country flag
I got alerted for front motor disable once then went away. SC replaced front drive inverter. Never came back!
 

confusioujedi

Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 22, 2025
Threads
0
Messages
19
Reaction score
4
Location
Maryland, Washington DC, Virginia area
Vehicles
Cyberbeast and Model S
Country flag
The same happened with me after I charged it disappeared.
But I’m not taking chances and while it’s still covered under warranty, I might as well. It’s just frustrating just over 13K miles and had it for 13 months and all these issues. Between the recalls, the wireless charging issue having to bring it in 3 times to finally get it fixed, waiting forever to get the off-road light bar installed and now a recall on the light bar install because of the adhesive 🙄.
It was one of the concerns of buying the first year model of the CyberBeast, let alone a Foundation Series.
 
 
Top